TomG

Fat Marks On Leather

Here's one I can't explain but would like to know other's opinions.

I made a couple of straps (collars) the other day. One of them developed a ton of fat ripples along almost the entire length after I applied my mink oil paste to the back side.

The other strap had no issues.

I am 99% sure it is just this piece of leather, but would like opinions.

I applied Tandy professional water dye. 2 light coats of neutral leather balm with atom wax on top. A good coating of mink oil paste on the flesh side.

The other strap was made exactly the same except I used Fiebings spirit dye, diluted with denatured alcohol, dip died.

Again, I am not 100% sure they were from the same side, .

My assumption is that the mink paste made the fat deposits in the leather swell.

Would that be accurate or a possibility?

Tom

Tom, its possible, but its more likely that ANY dye or finish would have brought out the texture of the hide. The only way to tell if your leather has texture is to wet it with isopropyl alcohol or water first. That will show you if there's likely to be any issues once you oil or dye it. Sometimes that texture looks good and people like it. Others, it takes away from the piece.

alcohol helps leach out the fats n oils

I sent photos of one with and one without the ripples and they liked the rippled one. Personally, I did as well. Gave it character.

Tom