Just picked up some stiffeners to make a thumbbreak holster and was wondering what you use to attach them to the leather. Obviously the snap will be for one hole, but what goes in the other one?

Thanks,

Brian

I use a tubular rivet with cap from Ohio Travel Bag.

Mine have a rivet in the top and the snap on the bottom. The rivet is capped on both sides so its smooth.

This is a nice clean way to do it..

Can anyone post a picture? Can I get the rivets at Tandy? From what I understand Ohio Travel Bag only sells in bulk and I only need about 15. Thanks for the replies.

And yes my rivets come from Tandy item# 1375-12 is the style you want but these are too long. I can't remember the item number on the shorter ones. Hope that gets you on the right track.

The style of rivets you really want are tubular rivets with a cap on the backside. Tandy sells the rivets but does not sell the caps. They are very strong and durable. The double cap rivets are cheap and tend to pop apart under stress.

The style of rivets you really want are tubular rivets with a cap on the backside. Tandy sells the rivets but does not sell the caps. They are very strong and durable. The double cap rivets are cheap and tend to pop apart under stress.

Tubular rivets get flared down with a special tool, which Tandy sells (#8099-00)

I've attached a picture of what the copper tubular rivet looks like when peened. It is a very strong rivet but will have the potential to scratch anything that passes over it, like the gun. Even when it is well anchored into the leather.

The discoloration surrounding the rivets was caused by the leather still being wet from molding.post-32287-0-53061500-1358179998_thumb.j

Edited by SooperJake

Tubular rivets get flared down with a special tool, which Tandy sells (#8099-00)

I've attached a picture of what the copper tubular rivet looks like when peened. It is a very strong rivet but will have the potential to scratch anything that passes over it, like the gun. Even when it is well anchored into the leather.

The discoloration surrounding the rivets was caused by the leather still being wet from molding.post-32287-0-53061500-1358179998_thumb.j

That is what tubular rivits look like without the cap on the backside. When you put a cap on the rear they look the same front and rear. Also they are incredibly strong, not like the tin jiffy rivits. Tandy sells the rivits in a few sizes but does not sell the caps that go on the backside.

Springfield Leather has the double cap rivets. The thing you need to be concerned about is the length of the post on the rivet, a very short post is needed as you are only going thru a single layer of leather and a very thin piece of metal for the stiffener.

Thanks Ed, I'll order some from them when I get leather.

A guy on here sells them. Rob at RMB custom knives. He will probably speak up soon and put a link to his site.

Where are you guys getting the stiffeners from... i don't remember seeing them in the Tandy or Weaver catalogs.

I got them from the blue gun store when I ordered some blue guns.