Bryan M

Prefered Sewing Methods?

I wasn't assuming anything. I said if you need one you'll be able to afford one. You may never need one, like I said, some people choose to handsew everything, it just depends on the route you take, or more likely the the route your work takes you!! Believe me, I started with a very basic kit from Tandy and never had any intentions of making a business from it, it just sort of progresses that way. But there is nothing wrong with doing it more as a hobby and if you're only doing a few projects here and there there is no need for a sewing machine, in fact I never encourage anyone to get a sewing machine until they truley NEED one. I hand stitched ALOT of holsters before I bought a machine and the reason I did was because I had to to keep up and I had enough orders to be able to afford one, hense my point " when you NEED one you'll be able to afford one".

I have a feeling though that if you practice like you are and take pride in your work like it sounds like you do you'll be surprised at how many people want what you make.

Well Billy, thats if you assume I'm ever going to do this as a business. I don't think at this time I will. I'll be making sheaths for the knives I plan to make. A knife sheath doesn't take near as many stitches as a belt. Or a saddle bag for a motorcycle. But other than that, I doubt I'll do it as a source of income. I just want to be good at it. And being good means doing it well. For that I need practice. My other hobbies are the same. I've studied, worked on, self trained, blacksmithing for several years. and am only now getting, what I would consider, decient. I don't make any money on that either. I do it for fun.

I wasn't assuming anything. I said if you need one you'll be able to afford one. You may never need one, like I said, some people choose to handsew everything, it just depends on the route you take, or more likely the the route your work takes you!! Believe me, I started with a very basic kit from Tandy and never had any intentions of making a business from it, it just sort of progresses that way. But there is nothing wrong with doing it more as a hobby and if you're only doing a few projects here and there there is no need for a sewing machine, in fact I never encourage anyone to get a sewing machine until they truley NEED one. I hand stitched ALOT of holsters before I bought a machine and the reason I did was because I had to to keep up and I had enough orders to be able to afford one, hense my point " when you NEED one you'll be able to afford one".

I have a feeling though that if you practice like you are and take pride in your work like it sounds like you do you'll be surprised at how many people want what you make.

When I said you I meant the ubiquitous you. Not "YOU". lol.. no biggie. I understand your points and the opinions of others is always important to me. Sorry if that came across in print wrong. In my head it sounded much better than that.