DrGull

Advice On Singer Model 15

I have my choice of two Singer 15's for $150.00 and was wondering if they would be suitable for leather. My plans include making wallet insides and perhaps clothing (like Chaps).

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

I am waiting on a 15-91 to get here....it will sew what you want as long as you don't get too thick

they are good machines but limited to no more than 8 oz. total thickness. That needs to be softer leather. In this area I buy 15-91 for $25 to $60 often is a cabinet. Most of these machines need to have the wireing checked as the insulation is coming off the wires going to the motor and light. I have 5 of these in my shop now and 4 needed to be rewired.

So no holsters, but about chaps and other clothing? Are they typically over 8oz?

Why don't you get a walking foot sewing machine set up for leather? I seriously doubt you will ever get a professional job of sewing on a household machine. In light enough leathers, you will get it done but I see so many poor jobs of sewing done with that type of machine. It is impossible to be considered a competent craftsman if you have a poor job of sewing on a project. Buy what you need the first time and don't pay later. I have done that. Cost me more in the long run. HTH Ken

Ken, I suspect you are right. I'm not going to get $1500 performance out of a $150 machine.

Good used walking foot machines can be had for far less than $1500.00. Just be careful who you buy from and if you search the forum, you will pick up a lot of good advice. HTH Ken

I have a 15-91 that I completely rebuilt. It will not properly feed heavy material, including Naugahyde and chap leather. It is the weight of the material that causes the problems, not the material itself. The problem is that in order to get enough tension to keep the material from lifting with the needle, a lot of foot pressure needs to be applied. This in turn holds back the top layer, dragging down the stitch length. Smaller pieces feed better than longer or wider pieces.

I tried installing an even feed attachment, sold as a walking foot attachment, which is isn't. It slightly improved the feeding of vinyl and soft leather, but lost about 1/8 inch of clearance under the foot.

Finally, the little machines are only equipped to tension up to #69 bonded thread. This is okay for wallet interiors, but not much else.

If you are seriously considering a 15-91, bring your leather and thread with you and see if it sews properly and feeds evenly.

I gave up trying to use my 15-91 and she sits quietly in her box, like a vampire resting in its native soil. Someday it may awake and sew again.

Use your nose while testing a 15-91 or 201. If you smell burning insulation, run.