Sign in to follow this  
chiefjason

Magazine Dimension Thread

OK, I don't think I'm missing some grand all encompassing mathematical concept the tells me what size mags are. Let me know if I am. So, is there any interest in getting together and posting some mag measurements? They are getting harder to find and more expensive. And quite frankly, I've found a few that substitute very nicely. And before I go to town measuring, I'd rather see if anyone else wants to join in. I've got Glock 9mm and .45, XD9, Kahr CW9, and a few others around.

So, good idea? Crazy? All set and don't need it? Or looking for something in particular?

I'm actually looking for measurements for the XD45 mag and might need a couple others soon.

One thing to understand also is that its not just the size but the shape. For example some 9mm single stack magazines have a rounded front and some are square on the front. So a Sig P239 9mm (round front) magazine and a Walther PPS 9mm (square front) magazine will not fit the same holder even though they are about the same size. So it seems that for some cases you will need to form off the correct magazine not just the right size. I do know that some magazines will interchange. I think HK P7PSP 9mm mags fit the same as the P239. If I remember correctly Walther P99 fit the same as Sig P226 9mm.

Shape is certainly important. The indentation on Glock mags is not on many others. And I know the XD and Glock mags are very different in shape and size even though they are double stack. So far I have successfully subbed an XD9 for a SR9 mag, a Glock .45 for a Ria a2 double stack 1911, and a Kahr CW9 for a CM9, LC9, and Shield.

If I can get a customer to check, I'll have them give me measurements on a mag if I don't have it. Then if I can't find one in my stash I start looking to buy one.

I'm just building up my mag holder work. So buying a new one for every request can add up. Not to mention trying to find them now. And I prefer to work from real mags instead of blue one. I can always sell a real mag pretty quick if I need to.

This is a great idea to get a list together due to costs of magazines in today's market. If we can get this posted eventually up top I think it would be a tremendous help to all the holster makers. If we can get all the holster makers in here to post what mags they have used in the past that were interchangeable we may get a pretty sizable list

I am currently searching.for Glock 36 mags for a double magazine pouch for a customer without luck.

I have used the following mags as substitution in the past

1911 single stack 45 mags for SIG P220/P245/P220 compact magazine pouches

SIG P229 magazines fit a HK P30 9mm magazine pouches

HK USP 9/40 mags and HK P2000 mags are interchangeable.