Cozee

Question About Masks . . .

What weight leather works well for masks that will receive some tooling/carving?

Don't know, never made any masks, maybe 5-6 or 6-7? I make seats with 8-9 oz. Herman Oak but lately I've been using horse butt.

I have the Leatherworking Handbook that "suggests" 4oz leather preferably from the side or the belly for making masks. I am new at this so I honesty have no idea if that is the best as I am simply just stating what is in the book. Hopefully someone that has actually made one will chime in here and let you know what has worked for them.

Karina

Have a good day!!!

Edited by johnj

I think 4 oz would be a bit thin to hold the shape that you typically see with molded masks. I would probably use a 6-7oz leather. that way it will carve well and hold a firm shape when molded. Good luck and share some pics when you're done.

Cheryl

I was just looking into this myself. Do a search on youtube (sorry, I cant remember what they said or I would just tell you myself), there are a couple of informative videos on leather mask making. Yea the designs arent what you or I would probably want but the technics are the same. I think they said 3-4oz, but dont quote me on that.

I do know that theirs did look a little on the thin side to me, but havent made one myself so I wouldnt know.
Edited by ksshane

I think 4 oz would be a bit thin to hold the shape that you typically see with molded masks. I would probably use a 6-7oz leather. that way it will carve well and hold a firm shape when molded. Good luck and share some pics when you're done.

Cheryl

Since we're talking about the type of mask that would be closer to a bandanna, 6-7 oz is WAY too thick. 3-4oz will flex and move with your face while riding down the highway. 90 on the freeway is no time to have something rigid blocking your field of movement.

Just went back and read all the post and i didn't see anything about a mask for a motorcycle. Original poster asked about the weight for tooling on a mask.

We are in the motorcycle and biker gear section, and when he posted this question he posted another one or two exactly the same in other sections which specified "Biker Masks".