cowgirl1954

Simple Style Sheridan Pattersns

Hello,

I am new to leather working and carving. I am looking for simple sheridan floral patterns to carve and work. I can find wallet patterns, belt and notebook and checkbook pattersns. I don't want anything that big to start with. I just want some small flowers and a few leaves or one flower and a few leaves. Not skilled enough to draw my own patterns! So where can I find simple patterns?

Here's a site I found on another post. I'm like you new to all of this. There are 5-6 downloadable pdf files here you can print out and mix and match. Notebook covers to flask cozies. With a picture of each finished so you can see what it should look like. I only have basic tools. Not a large number of stamps and will be using these to practice with.

http://elktracks.net/free-patterns.html

I got a small book at Tandy. "Stohlman step by step" by Peter Main. It has step by step instructions in it and some patterns in the back. I got it to practice roses and it does have some pretty detailed tips in it. Simple oak leaves, flowers etc....

David

Thank you guys for getting back to me. I went to the elktracks site and looked it over. He has some nice patterns. David, I will look at tandy for that book. I wish we had people in Montana who teach and give private lessons. I have got a DVD and several books! I am receiving the leather crafter journal also which that helps. My husband thinks I am starting out to hard need to do simple border patterns and as I get better then go into sheridan style carving. Ha! But I love this style!!!!!Ha!

Edited by cowgirl1954

Cowgirl, you are pretty close (Compared to many of us) to Sheridan Wyoming, the recognized mecca of leather carving. You should be able to find someone near you that can help!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Something I did was to take one of the craftaids that Tandy sells. I think it was called 'Sheridan style corner designs' or something close to that. I picked one of the small corner designs and carved it six times, each time critiquing it and deciding what I wanted to improve next time. You will be surprised how much better the last one is compared to the first one.

I'm pretty sure Tandy still sells this craftaid in their stores, or you might be able to download something like it from their leathercraft library. Doesn't matter exactly which one you use, it's the repetition that helps. You could even use just a part a more complex carving. Do that a few times and you'll quickly making carvings your proud of.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Hello David,

I received my Stohlman Step by Step by Peter Main book today in the mail. Just looked through it and wow. What an amazing book especially for beginners and you are right it has patterns I can practice. Really impressed with this book. Can't wait to practice now. Thanks for recommending this book. Jacque

Hello,

I just ordered Craftool Tech-tips by Al Stohlman on amazon. This book is supposed to be awesome for beginners and intermediates just like the one I received today. I am excited to get new tools and knife and books so I can get going. Feeling real inspired right now to tool and carve. David, you might check out this other book. Happy Tooling!!!! Jacque

Hi cowgirl1954 1954 was a good year I was born that year also. I ordered “Learn Sheridan Style Leather Tooling by Chan Geer (Leathercraft Book)” from Pro Leather Carver's Supply on eBay if your on face book look up Chan Geer and call him he has books the one I purchased has you practice on each different element in a carving and then you can put all the elements to gather in a checkbook cover. It has step by step pictures on how to carve along with what the look looks like.

I you have internet access you can subscribe to leather craft library at leathercraftlibrary.com they have many online videos’ that teach the subscription is very reasonable.

Doug

Edited by whiteeugene

Thanks Doug. I have gotten a couple of books and they are great and had some small patterns in them. I am doing great and making progress! So I am very pleased. Just getting a good swivel knife has improved my work a bunch! Jacque