Hello,

My name is Jacque and I am new to leatherworking and carving. I have been given some very cheap swivel knives to practice with. They are all pretty much suck. Who makes good quality swivel knives? I have been recommended to Henley, Sk-Knives, and the Tangle Boss. Don't know which to go at this point I am leaning toward a tangle boss for a beginner he says there is very little learning curve. So any opinions out there?

I own most brands of swivel knives on the market with the exception of a Tangleboss. The one that use the most in order. SK-3, Chuck Smith Ol'Smoothie and my Barry King. If you are serious about this craft, I would suggest an SK-3, Henley, Bob Beard Pro-Series, or Ol' Smoothie in no particular order. If you are just going out to get slowly, you cannot go wrong with a Barry King knife for the cost. Even if you just want to make a small investment I would buy a BK blade for $15 and put it in your craftool. This is what I usually recommend to beginners because just the swivel knives can get costly. When I get a chance to get a Tangleboss, and I will. I will be able to give some recommendations. Just my opinion.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am serious about this craft and I want a good swivel knife. My husband has arthritis in his hands so he thinks he wants a tangle boss. Right now my carving sucks because I don't have a nice knife with a bearing in it that makes it smooth. Can't seem to find an ol smoothie. Chuck Smith has a website which is not finished and he is on facebook but I have tried to contact him with no luck. So I don't know anything about his knife.

another question: Do you prefer ceramic blade or steele blades? Who has good blades? where can they be purchased?

I own a few swivel knives. If I had to replace them I would buy the SK3, then a Chuck Smith and then a Tangleboss last (it is more of a gimic than a primary knife).

I personally do not really like ceramic blades. If you buy a good knife it will come with a quality blade.

Edited by electrathon

I could not live in the leatherworld without my SK3 knife, it makes the carving a most pleasurable time :-)

My Leatherwranglers SK-3 was one of the first 'high end' tools I got and I think it was one of the best things I could get. It is worth every penny. I also have a Barry King knife and I like it too, especially for decorative cuts, but I carve all my designs with my SK-3.

Bob

Hey Cowgirl!

Call Chuck Smith at 760-749-5755. His wife, Lana, usually answers the phone. Tell her what you need and she'll fix you up. She's a doll and fun to talk to. Hope this helps.

Mike

Who has good blades? where can they be purchased?

The SK-3 is available from Leather Wranglers. You can also buy the blade to fit your Tandy barrel

http://www.leatherwranglers.com/products.html

Barry King makes both complete swivel knives or individual blades to fit Tandy sized barrels.

http://www.barrykingtools.com/swivelknives.htm

I do not like my Ceramic blades mainly because I do have nerves issues and sometimes my tools fall from loss of grip. The ceramic blades kept chipping and I kept having to put an edge back on them. In some of my other swivel knives, I have replaced the blade with all Barry King blades....you just cannot beat the price for a good blade. And Barry knows because I bought like 8 of them at the last show in different sizes and widths.

Good luck

In some of my other swivel knives, I have replaced the blade with all Barry King blades....you just cannot beat the price for a good blade. And Barry knows because I bought like 8 of them at the last show in different sizes and widths.

Good luck

I'm about to do the same. There are a couple of different blades I want, like a beader and some good angled blades - the stuff I don't use all to often but when I need it, I wish I had it. Not something I can justify buying a whole new assembly for, but the price for the various blades to go to my Tandy barrels is well worth it.

Hello,

Well guys thank you for all the information it was very helpful. I just bought a Barry King Knife the price is right and it is a great quality I am told. It is better than what I have anyway. I will eventually buy a Sk-3 or a knife of that quality. First I want to make sure I have the knack for this carving and tooling. Leather Wranglers told me the sk-3 blade will fit the Barry King knife should I want one. So I will give this a whirl and see what happens. My knife was shipped out today so I am excited. Thanks everyone! Jacque