Widget

2Nd Sheridan Attempt--A Wallet This Time

Hi all,

After my first attempt at a checkbook, I decided to try a simpler design this time on a wallet. On my first shot, you guys gave me some great advice, and I want to say thanks. Especially to JLSleather who advised me to not just copy the design, but to find the logic in it.

I think I did a bit better this time, I still need to practice with the beveler (some parts look ROUGH)...but I think the main flower came out much better than last time.

Again, I'm really new to this (just started at Christmas), and I don't have the chance to work much, but am willing to take any criticism in order to get better...so have at it, and thanks in advance!

The photo is of the carving before dying/finishing/sewing liners, etc....

post-37912-0-76998900-1360109421_thumb.j

Looks like it's starting to come to gather just takes time, how did it look after the finis?

If you get a chance look at Learn Sheridan Style Leather Tooling by Chan Geer (Leathercraft Book)

from Pro Leather Carver's Supply on eBay if your on face book look up Chan Geer and call him he has books, the one I purchased has you practice on each different element in a carving and then you can put all the elements to gather in a checkbook cover. It has step by step pictures on how to carve along with what the look looks like.

Doug

Edited by whiteeugene

It IS getting better. Just gotta stay at it. The piece of leather you have there looks a bit rough, which is all the difference. TWO pieces of advice for this ;)

1.) If you want to be good at running 2 miles, you gotta practice running five.

2.) When a guy gets so important (or is it "self-absorbed") that his advice must be purchased, I let him keep it.

Oh, actualy THREE ... 3.) If that first one doesn't appear to make sense, don't worry about it ;)

JLS, it was a pretty crappy piece of leather to be honest. This was the last piece of one of the Tandy kits that got me started...so I'm going to be investing in some new leather soon. The good news is I'm enjoying the practice...and my friends and relatives are getting plenty of non-holiday gifts :-)

Thanks again for your advice, and to anyone else, let me have it...I'm thick skinned :-)