needles

Gum Trag?

Hi

sorry if I'm being really thick, I've read about gum trag and when googled, I get the powder edible stuff, is this the same just mixed or?????

al

Try using: "Gum Tragacanth", (in Sweden it's "Gum Arabicum")

I got a bottle of it and it is a thick liquid.

It is used in leather and in cake frosting. It has double uses. I have used the powder and made it up I like the premixed better. Tandy and Springfield leather both sell the mixed stuff.

Michael

thanks everyone, thats what was confusing me, seeing the premixed, and only finding the powder. will look now to see if i can find a source for the premixed in the uk, our taxman adds a lot on if imported from the us.

thanks guys

al

I got the Tandy premix kind for edge burnishing. I'm pretty happy with it. I just apply it with a cue tip and rub the living hell out of the edge. The Spanish store might be able to send it for you at a good price. When I order stuff from the UK it usually comes with pretty decent shipping prices.

Edited by Shiloh

I bought a small jar of gum tragacanth for burnishing edges and it quickly went moldy. Maybe I should have kept it in the fridge? I have never used the product since and find wetting the edge with dye or water, rubbing the edge with glycerin saddle soap and burnishing with canvass works just as well.

Hi Needles, welcome, we have a Tandy in Northampton, they stock gum trag, they are normally pretty quick too.

Thanks everyone,

Shiloh, i have had reasonable postage charges with things that i have bought from the us, its our own tax and import that cripples it, last time they hit my deliver hard and nearly double the cost of the actual article adding another £11.00 on at this end....

woodbone and stone, thanks worth thinking about, i have an old washing machine motor in the shed might try to set it up as a burnisher at some point when i've got time.

Jax thanks, found them last night, instore I think? didn't tandy pull out and these took over??

al

will look now to see if i can find a source for the premixed in the uk, our taxman adds a lot on if imported from the us.

You will find it it any (?) art store with a fairly good selection...I think my bottle says Winsor&Newton...English brand?

thanks Tina, there's a pretty good one near us, so will have a look next week, that would be much easier thanks

al

Joseph Segal in manchester or Abbey England in knutsford both stock it.

nice one, thank you shadowryder, i have added them to my list now, looks like they have a few things i can use.

al