Dangerous Beans

I Want To Make A Whip

I want to make a whip but I'm having a real issue sourcing the right leather.

I've made four whips over the years, the one below was made of buffalo but over the years the lacing has shrunk and the gaps make it look untidy.

I have no idea how to use it, I tried once and still have the scar.

its a show piece that hangs in the workshop, it serves no purpose other than to say... i made that.

I'm fascinated by the intricacies of a whip, the detail and work that goes into them.

I don't want to make one just for show though, it has to be the correct construction, I don't want to cheat.

This one is leather to the core. It rolls out nicely and is still solid.

Now... I know kangaroo is the best lace to use because of its tensile strength but there are no decent sources for it in the UK, I remember years ago MHW in Australia sold finished lace but having looked at the site it hasn't changed and I've had no replies to emails so I don't know if they are still going.

So... Is there a good outlet for kangaroo out there? Or, drawing or your expertise... What other leather plaits well and has a similar strength and look?

I have cut lace myself but am no master so it's straight without taper, this means I have to drop laces to reduce the body from the handle down to the fall.

In truth, it's beyond me how you can taper an 8 foot length of lace from 4mm to say 2mm.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on materials and techniques.

This side of leather is very much a hobby so I'm willing to take any advice or tips you can offer. This is a two way street... If I can help you with your stitching, just sing out.

Nigel

image.jpg

Check put Berni346's youtube channel....he explains a lot of it.

That's Bernie46 ;) His videos explain the whole lace-making process, and he also shows how to make a jig for beveling your edges for dirt cheap. I't basically a chunk of 2x4 and a razor blade. Simple, but works very well.

He has some plaiting videos as well. They are all worth watching. I believe he even tapered some lace in one of his videos.

If you do a search on whip making kits, you will come up with a lot of places you can buy a pre-made kit to braid your own whip. That being said, you can also order roo hides from Australia over the net. If you are looking for a book on making whips I would suggest any written by Ron Edwards. www.ramsskullpress.com His are, imho, the best written and easiest to follow.

I guess it depends on if you want to cut it out from scratch or get a kit. The advantage of the kit is you can look at it and see how it is cut out and use that as a pattern.

You might also check out www.apwa.org.au This is the Australian Plaiters and Whipmakers Association web site. You can probably ask questions there even though you are not a member.

Keep asking the questions.

Last I checked Tandy has veg kangaroo in 3 colours. Kinda tempted to make a whip myself.

Ron Edwards' books have quite a lot of info on stock-whips. Bushcraft 1 has a few different ones, Bushcraft 8 (leather) has a few more, and Bushcraft 9 is dedicated to them. Apparently most were made with whatever was to hand in about the right thickness -- greenhide (rawhide) or redhide were the most common. Not quite been able to figure out what what redhide is yet though.

That's brilliant cheers folks, Berni is now my hero! He mentions his website, I can't find it. Any ideas?

So... Do I cut my lace or buy lace? I think I have to weigh up the cost of both unless anyone has done the maths, I'm not sure if this is going to be a huge repeating project, maybe a kit.

Nige

Yep....caught me typing on a tablet. Thanks for the correction.

I have no idea how to use it, I tried once and still have the scar.

There are many youtube videos and other resources online to help learn how to crack a whip. Search for Adam Winrich on youtube and you will find a lot of info. I should warn you though, whip making and cracking is very addictive!

P.S. Check out the PM I sent you

Edited by braiding4fun

That's brilliant cheers folks, Berni is now my hero! He mentions his website, I can't find it. Any ideas?

So... Do I cut my lace or buy lace? I think I have to weigh up the cost of both unless anyone has done the maths, I'm not sure if this is going to be a huge repeating project, maybe a kit.

Nige

Is this the website you're looking for? www.em-brand-whips.com