Oak Grove Leather Works

Question About Machine Sewing Tack W/cobra 4

Greetings! I got great help when I was trying to figure out how to use the strap plate on my Cobra 4, so I thought I'd give the mob a shot at another Cobra question. I'm still working on that first halter, between Honey-Do list items, and I am wondering about sewing in the rings. The machine comes with a foot that Steve from Leather Machine Company says is for sewing "right up to something." I have tried it out, and I don't see any difference in the profile of the foot, its length, or any other aspect of the thing that gets me any closer to the ring. Any thoughts on the subject? Any advice in sewing up to the ring or buckle would be appreciated. I'm considering going to hand stitching, since none of the stitch lines are longer than about 2 inches on the single layer pony halter. However, I'm doing a double layer halter next, and reallllly don't want to hand stitch that. Thanks in advance! -Steve

I am wondering the exact same thing

If you are talking about a single toe outer foot, you need to remember that you put the one on that allows the inside foot be closest to the thing you are sewing up next to. So if you have your D-ring on the left side of the sewing area... you need to use the right single toe outer foot, so that your inner foot will ride right next to the D ring.

As Sylvia mentioned if you need to see right up to a D ring or buckle you'd use either the left or right toe. This would allow you to get within about an 1/8" or so away from whatever you're sewing next to. If you need to get closer you could grind part of the center foot away.

I use a double toe Harness foot. Gets alot closer than a standard left or right toe.

I use a double toe Harness foot. Gets alot closer than a standard left or right toe.

I don't see how that's possible. With a left or right toe you can get right up to the center foot. They are the same as a double toe harness foot minus a foot.