Sign in to follow this  
needles

Rotating Parts, Swivel?

sorry I mistakenly posted this in the critique forum, so re written here and will not try to delete the old one, DOH!

Hi guys

i am playing around with ideas, and i am stuck on one bit, i need to connect permanently two squares of leather together in the middle but still be able to swivel them around independently, or spins around without the other. i can't use a rivet or anything like that as I need what ever fixes them to the leather to be robust and flat against the leather and not cause bulges. probably sewn on...like sewing two discs together so they can spin around in opposite directions...

any ideas???? please I've seen something made out of plastic, two rings connected together that spin, but i can't remember where

al

Does it have to be leather to leather or can you glue the leather to a lazy susan?

the Lazy Susan mechanism would be perfect if it was made from plastic and an inch dia, but i can't seem to find anything like this for the non business.

It would surely help if there were pictures, drawings, or dimensions: but absent from those, . . . your best bet as you have outlined it so far would probably be a copper rivet.

Copper rivets can come with a large flat head, . . . goes through the hole in each piece of leather, . . . has a washer affixed on the bottom side, . . . cut very closely with a pair of side cutters, . . . and expertly flattened by a small ball peen hammer on a wide steel surface.

You attain the rotating effect, . . . place a thin sheet metal spacer between the two pieces of leather, . . . after the rivet is set, . . . pull out the spacer and it should rotate freely.

May God bless,

Dwight

You can make your own from plastic.

Cut out two discs, rivet or use a chicago screw, you can glue suede or leather on the plastic to cover it prior to riveting if you want to hide the plastic.

thanks guys, i dont want to give too much away on what I'm trying to make just yet, haven't seen anything like it yet, probably is out there i just haven't seen it yet. but as far as the swivel thing goes, it needs to be as flat as possible, worried about rivets as they may make a localised lump/bump which could damage the thing its holding if pressed against. if that makes sense, sorry, will let you in on it as soon as i figure it out, if i can. :crazy:

don't know how to describe this but here goes, I did think about two plastic washers, one large with large middle hole, other smaller with smaller middle hole. the larger one sewn to one piece of leather around the outside of disc, and the small one (washer) sewn to the other leather around the inside of hole inner, the smaller one would have to be sewn whilst it was behind the larger one so the sewing would be passing through the hole of the larger one. problem i can see apart from being incredibly fiddly, (if at all possible) is it would have to rotate on the thread so probably wouldn't last long. clear as fog innit :dunno:

al