Sign in to follow this  
needles

Ce Certification?

a question to to those craftsmen selling their wares to Europe and England. is there another similar for the states?

do you have your goods ce certified or do you even need it? was reading a post on another forum (crafting), although they were making toys (hobby crafters but still selling) told they need to be ce certified, does this apply to leather goods etc.

al

Hi Al,

Interesting question. My day job is in a electronics and manufacturing business where we do have to comply with CE in many cases. However, the standards we have to meet generally involve things like radiated emmisions (we're not going to interfer with other electronic equipment), not hazardous to operate, proper grounding, won't burn, that sort of thing. For most leather goods, our sort of regulations wouldn't apply. However, I could see where if you were making personal protective gear (leather gloves, tool belts, etc.) there might be regulations for CE that could apply. For cothing items, you could be required to meet flamability standards, for example. I could maybe see a compliance issue with toys because there might be compliance standards under CE that address the size of parts that could break off and become choking hazards.

Bob

Thanks Tom, that's good info. So for us leatherworkers, it looks like the only applicable directives would be personal protective gear and possibly safety of toys, depending on what you make. For someone like me making notebooks and wallets, there isn't much issue.

Bob

thanks guys

yes that's what i looked at when someone brought it up on another forum, ce without a doubt for anything made and especially sold as a toy.

often with our regulations over here, they can often be open to interpretation, until its acted upon in court and a precedent is made. part of the products group is recreational crafts. which could leave it swinging a little? definitely worth considering these possibilities i thought whilst were busily making our wares......?

i don't know if anyone has ever been in trouble with this or even if anyone would, but probably worth keeping in the back our minds. just my thoughts....