I just watched a video from Kevin at Springfield leather. He suggested adding denatured alcohol to fine fieblings alcohol based dye. How about there oil based? Any need to add anything to that?

:17:

It's called Oil dye because they added oil to their regular dye to aid in the penetration.

Just remember the golden rule of thinning dyes and/or paints.

MEASURE WHAT YOU ARE DOING !

If you "find" a pretty shade that you may want to duplicate at some later date, . . . you will do well to have made very accurate notes and very accurate measurements.

Dying leather is tough enough, . . . don't hamper your efforts by just throwing in some thinner and hoping for the best.

I worked in a refinish paint plant for 30 years, . . . and you CANNOT believe what the slightest little change to a color formula will make in the end product.

May God bless,

Dwight

:17:

It's called Oil dye because they added oil to their regular dye to aid in the penetration.

There is no oil in it check the MSDS, the difference is Fiebings use a higher quality alcohol base in the Oil dyes. No one seems to know why they call it Oil dye.

Dwight,

Question: If I have a color and add thinner, no other color, will it change the actual color or just the transparancy of the color?

Aaron

There is no oil in it check the MSDS, the difference is Fiebings use a higher quality alcohol base in the Oil dyes. No one seems to know why they call it Oil dye.

That's what I've been told over and over (about the oil and the reasons for it), so I'm not disputing you. I just looked at the MSDS and there are a few of the ingredients there that could be used to make an "oil", which in itself is not an ingredient in anything but more of a description of the characteristics of an ingredient.

Ok good info so if I am using fieblings oil based black how much thinner should I add?

most start with 50/50 then test. Your mileage may very so adjust as needed.

Ok good info so if I am using fieblings oil based black how much thinner should I add?

I never thin black dye, why would you want to do that? Is it to make it last longer or are you trying to achieve a different shade?

I never thin black dye, why would you want to do that? Is it to make it last longer or are you trying to achieve a different shade?

I usually thin it for the purpose airbrushing my first coat on. But now that you mention it (I didn't even think about it before), I think that video he's referring to actually said thin everything BUT black. Black's already tricky enough and usually needs help to get an even coverage.

Your right that makes sense I must has not been paying attention to the video thanks.

I'm just glad Billy caught it.

That's what I get for multi-tasking so much while I'm at work - king of lose my mind at times :rofl:

I never seen the video you guys are talking about, I just never considered thinning black as it seems to end up turning more blue than black. I did thin it once because I was running out and needed to stretch it but the results weren't as good.

I also never airbrush black unless I'm just adding some over another color for a faded effect. Otherwise I apply it either with a foam brush or dauber or dipping it in the dye.

I usually only thin dyes if I want to lighten the shade, otherwise I spray or brush it on full strength. I don't use a wide array of colors often though, I use black, mahogany and saddle tan. My two ton finish is a saddle tan applied with the brush then I airbrush mahogany full strength around the edges. I use other colors on request or for repairs but those are my standard color options.

I usually only thin dyes if I want to lighten the shade, otherwise I spray or brush it on full strength.

Even if I'm going for full strength color (which is usually the case) I always do a base pass at 50/50. I found that I get better penetration that way.

You just like to drag things out so you can charge more.:-).

The majority of my dye gets applied with a foam brush or dipping it so its applied alot more heavily than airbrushing so penetration is not a problem, I do go through way more dye that way though.

You just like to drag things out so you can charge more.:-).

Shhhhhhhh :)

No, I've got it down to a pretty good science. I'm actually always looking for ways to speed up and charge less!!

airbrushing a 50/50 on a 50" guitar strap usually takes about 2 minutes for general coverage, 10 minutes if I've gotta slow down and do specific sections. If it would take any longer than that, I'm likely brushing it by hand anyway due to the multi-color detail involved. I just haven't gotten good at that kind of airbrushing. That's the main reason I got an airbrush. It was just taking me too long to get an even coating by using a brush or dauber.