Sign in to follow this  
Shady

A Wallet

So here's a wallet I finished recently. I messed up and rotated the last letter on the last line, so this ended up sitting in a pile destined to never get finished or wait until I could buy some leather and punch out all the holes. Well I decided to work on the back side the other day and to my surprise my buddy still wants the wallet even with the bad letter. I think on some scrap I'm gonna try to do some resist and gel antiqe. I really need to sit with someone and learn some technique but until then here it is

IMG_20130227_192916_zps2c2ac414.jpg

First things first....this is a public forum, and the general rating is "PG". Your first pic has been removed to keep the post in the guidelines. We do have an adult area, and you'll need to contact admin for access privileges.

Next, it really looks like your leather was far too dry for the stamping. You need to have your leather properly cased before any tooling.

Sorry about that, didn't really think about it. I suppose I could blur out the last few letters or row. I followed the casing guide here http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19121 but I'll take your word for sure. Time to mess around with some more scrap. I wish there was a Tandy or somewhere else teaching classes nearby.

Thin leather usually dries out much more quickly than thicker leather....the tooling on the left side of the wallet..what's in that pic, looks pretty good. It was the lettering that was showing "too dry". If you find the leather drying out while you're tooling it, you can spray a little onto the leather from the flesh side to help keep the moisture content in the right zone. Since the leather was already dampened, the water will move through it more quickly. With that in mind, a light spray or two from a utility spray bottle, and a minute or two for the moisture to normalize should do the trick.

On that pic....blurring, blanking, or cropping would be acceptable. We just have to keep the 'open' pages safe for youngsters that may be browsing. Thank you for the offer to alter it.

Here's an edited photo of the front side.

54a649cf-42a7-41ee-b793-ec58231f71b1_zps4875766b.jpg

Helped a little????

ferg