REDTAILHAWK

Old Leatherworker Might Attempt First Motorcycle Seat

Well, it is a new day, and I realize I have just been way overthinking this, and should just jump on in. Time to order some parts and get busy. In all the time and energy i've wasted trying to decide what to do, I could have built a seat by now. It really sucks to get old. Thanks to everyone for their advice and putting up with my stupid questions.

I've learned that calling is better than e-mailing. Here's Todd's (Accufast) number 931-639-7781. I always call Foamforyou too for info. They also have fast shipping.

Yes, definitely call Todd if you can ;).

I emailed FoamForYou on a Saturday and heard back on Monday. I think what you're seeing in the shipping charges is the "oversize" shipping rates that we have to pay for anything that comes in a roll.

Thanks for the input. For padding do you use like 2" of the closed cell foam?

Sometimes I use little 280/250x4 inner tubes for padding. Riding on air is quite comfy.

Edited by bustedlifter

OK, I guess I am foam confused. When I searched for Foamforyou, It brings up a web site called Foam N More. I assume this is the same place where most people are getting their neoprene. I'm also confused about the regular and high quality neoprene. Their site gives prices for regular neoprene. I emailed them for high quality neoprene prices and they emailed me back with the regular grade prices. I emailed them again and they said:

The High Quality Neoprene is very firm, that is why it is a special order.

We do not carry this in stock and can take up to two weeks for the foam to get to us. Then we can cut it down to the desired sizes.

Neoprene regular is very durable and many customers have found this to be the chosen foam in comparison.

We can send you a sample of the regular Neoprene, or HQ Neoprene (this sample may take a few days to ship).

There is a small shipping fee of $2.00 per sample.

A quote on the HQ Neoprene is a minimum order of (1) Full sheet 47" x 72" x 1 $141.00

Please email or call in if you would like to place the order for the samples or if you have any questions.

Thank You,

Morgan

Foam N' More

248-284-0002

So........is everybody just using the regular neoprene from Foam N' More????

Foam N' More is where I ordered mine at the recommendation of David Theobold. I got a half sheet of the regular neoprene which was $41.60 shipped. This is the one they recommend for motorcycle seats on their site as well.

Have any of you ordered from badseedcycles.com? I heard they were pretty good.

FoamandMore and FoamforYou are one and the same.

Hey, Benlilly1 and Cyberthrasher,

So if you have $70 in material costs in a motorcycles seat, about how many hours do you figure you have wrapped up in making one?

Hello Aguilerag,

I hadn't heard about Badseed Cycles. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for letting us know.

4 - 6 hours to lace it up

couple hours to dye at least (depending on how much color)

the rest is tooling and assembly time.

If you're looking for pricing, I wouldn't let it out the door for less than about $300 for a plain dyed seat with a blended fade. One color plain, maybe $275. Outside of ebay, the market is pretty standard here for custom seats. Unfortunately there are a lot of other people out there on ebay and etsy selling down for really cheap and destroying the market. Luckily there are still a lot of smart guys out there building bikes who know that cheap only hurts down the road.

Redtail, That looks really great! Nice detail, it pops!

Looks great!!

The only thing I would say is that the lacing holes look a little big. But, that's more of a matter of preference. The only thing you may find is that it could possibly allow water into the seat quicker. If you got the good closed cell foam that shouldn't be an issue though.

I did the same thing on my first seat, then had to put a piece of marine vinyl underneath since the stock foam was extremely open cell and would rot in no time if it got water through the holes.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

1/4" in an 1/8" hole will fill out nicely. I made the mistake of doing 1/4" in 1/4" hole and it just leaves a huge gap. Kind of made it look like a Tandy Kit to me. But, like I said, that's preference for me. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your seat - just my observations and how they relate to what I did :)

YOU MESSED UP AT WAITING SO LONG TO START MAKING SEATS:) LOLOLOL

Dude you should have started doing these long ago! great job!

Thanks, Chancey77,

I at least hope I'll be around to make a couple more. I have already started work on the second one. Searching through some of the old pattern books to find a pattern to give me some ideas. My wife told me if I tool a traditional western design on a seat we can buy a bike to put it on.

My wife told me if I tool a traditional western design on a seat we can buy a bike to put it on.

DO IT!!!!! :)

Thanks, Chancey77,

I at least hope I'll be around to make a couple more. I have already started work on the second one. Searching through some of the old pattern books to find a pattern to give me some ideas. My wife told me if I tool a traditional western design on a seat we can buy a bike to put it on.

That sounds like a terrible threat! hhahahahaha

I can't think of anything worse than wild wind in your face with not being able to text or use a cell phone:) hahahaha

YA RIGHT!!!!! I tell ya what I think it is time to build a seat:) and it sounds like you have to make a passenger seat for your cool wife while your at it:)

your seat looks Tuff, good job carving out the native american theme.

where did you get the pan? what color dye did you use?

Thanks, Paprhangr,

I gave it a couple coats of Fiebing's dark brown spirit dye with a few different size brushes and a dauber, then Fiebing's antique dark brown overall, then tan kote.