captain

The Best Product For Cleaning/conditioning Old Valuable Leather

Hi guys.

I find myself buying more and more antique leather items.

Up until now I have just been lightly cleaning the leather with soap and mild detergent, and then conditioning with Bick 4.

It works well and doesn't darken the leather...but it polishes it a lot more than I like. Makes the leather shiny...

I'm just curious what your guys recommendations are.

Keep in mind that the things I am using it on are fairly high value (monetarily and historically).

I just want something that will keep the leather supple and strong.

Thanks!

I have used Pecards for quite few years with good effect on old leather. They have several formulas depending on your needs.....

http://www.pecard.com/

Can anyone else confirm that pecards would be the best for valuable old leather?

The leather I'm working with isn't cracking or super brittle, I just want to rejuvenate it a bit.

Thanks

There is a product called museum something or other I recently saw in a book. When I looked it up, it is often used in the rare/antique bookbinding arena... which would qualify as valuable and delicate. If the name occurs to me I will edit this reply. I saw the reference in that lady's book who teaches how to make a three piece gusset (about which there are threads here). Im being a little lazy instead of looking it up for you.

British Museum leather dressing. Thank you Google.

British Museum leather dressing. Thank you Google.

Dr. jackson's (conditioner and hide rejevenator) , and Lexol should be on the list of things you look into.

There is also one called 'leather honey', but i haven't used it.

I've used brick 4 on an old crocodile leather wallet from the 1930s. it darkened the leather a lot. ruined it :(

what did I do wrong?

Hello. You have 2 parts to consider here: the cleaning and the conditioning.

Almost all the cleaners are basically glycerin soap. The main concern here is whether it will leave a residue. Having said that, never never use saddle soap. It is difficult to get it all out.

I've had good success with Dr. Jackson's cleaner. If you have to, use a tooth brush to get it all out.

When using conditioners there are two types, oil based and non-oil based. Lexol is purely artificial. I find it works well and does not darken the leather so it is my favorite.

Most others are oil based (mostly pig fat) i.e. GREASE. That is why it darkened Jcore's wallet. Some of the others are waxes with conditioner - Aussie is wax and lanolin. It will darken.

Something like Leather Balm will clean. The reason is that it contains an acid so it is not something I would use on something precious as it will lift color.

Cheers!

Hello. You have 2 parts to consider here: the cleaning and the conditioning.

Almost all the cleaners are basically glycerin soap. The main concern here is whether it will leave a residue. Having said that, never never use saddle soap. It is difficult to get it all out.

I've had good success with Dr. Jackson's cleaner. If you have to, use a tooth brush to get it all out.

When using conditioners there are two types, oil based and non-oil based. Lexol is purely artificial. I find it works well and does not darken the leather so it is my favorite.

Most others are oil based (mostly pig fat) i.e. GREASE. That is why it darkened Jcore's wallet. Some of the others are waxes with conditioner - Aussie is wax and lanolin. It will darken.

Something like Leather Balm will clean. The reason is that it contains an acid so it is not something I would use on something precious as it will lift color.

Cheers!

Pecards isn't oil based, that's why I think I've heard good things about it in regards to valuable leather

I use Pecard's on MC gear (it is all pretty much the same formula, they just package it differently for different markets). It may darken just a little, but most of MC gear ends up in the sun anyway so it is going to darken. I use Montana Pitchblend on most everything else, does great for me. With either product, a little goes a long way, especially on restorations.

Art

I use Pecard's on MC gear (it is all pretty much the same formula, they just package it differently for different markets). It may darken just a little, but most of MC gear ends up in the sun anyway so it is going to darken. I use Montana Pitchblend on most everything else, does great for me. With either product, a little goes a long way, especially on restorations.

Art

Is there anything that doesn't darken?

I know oils and animal fats darken, but pecard is synthetic so I wonder why it still darkens...