Django57

V Gouge Alternatve

Just wondered at a push could i use a Stitch Groover as a substitute for a V gouge when i need to make a sharp fold or will it spoil the look of the piece ?

Well, the groove is going to be on the inside of the corner,

so it shouldn't matter. You can certainly use it the groover, but may need to make multiple passes to get your depth.

Thank you TwinOaks I'm building my tools but missed the V gouge tool of my order so it will have to wait for another time , i realised having watched somebody make a iPhone sleeve that i maybe should have bought one .

I have used a stitch groover for this and as stated, it took a couple of passed to get it deep enough. I then used an edge beveller to widen it out a little. It worked OK.

I have also taken the leather and folded it over with the side I wished ti groove showing (hard to describe but basically folded it over the corner of my workbench) then skived the area I wanted to groove. Hope that makes sense.

Just as a warning the silvery (pot metal) adjustable V groovers are not fantastic; the depth adjustment is sloppy and the angle of the cutting edge changes when the depth does.

Cheers Matt S , which one would you recommend when i get round to ordering one ? i have bought nearly everything from LePrevo in the UK this is a link to the one they sell

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/v-gouge.htm

Check out Goods Japan they do quite a range of leather tools & although Ive not got any myself (yet) I have heard good things about them also you can try Joseph Dixon tools in Walsall England, I have loads of their tools & they are really good but can be expensive.

As Jax posted, GoodsJapan has some awsome tools at a pretty fair price. There are also V and U gouges that are bult into handle hefts that do the job. Those adjustible metal ones basically arive broken. They do not mantain the depth they are set at. There are instructions on the forums somewhere on how to rig them to work correctly, but its not really worth the trouble. Buy a good tool from the start.

Think I'll get one of these when I'veOsborne%20Adjustable%20Gauge%20128.jpg saved up

I have the Osborne version of what Django posted, if that isn't an Osborne. It works well, I usually set the depth pretty shallow for the first pass and then adjust the depth as need for the next pass(es). I use a metal ruler with it to make sure I'm gouging in a straight line. I believe Osborne makes two versions, Ron's Tools makes a very different version of a v gouge.