stef73433

Spot Setter Tool With A Mind Of Its Own

What is the secret to this spot setting tool? Alot of then don't set straight in, they slide sideways, ruining the prongs and leaving extra marks.what an I doing wrong?

Very similar to snap setters, the trick is many light taps instead of hard hits. Adjust as you go.

Thank you.that seemed to help.

Very similar to snap setters, the trick is many light taps instead of hard hits. Adjust as you go.

I find that the lighter hits help, I was trying to train an employee the other day using the mallet and setter technique, it was painful. I sent them over to the press for the rest....

Hello,

I set a lot of spots in chap legs and spur straps. I use a chunk of heavy skirting leather underneath to drive the spots into on my tooling block and use my heaviest tooling hammer to drive with. One whack is all it takes per spot, then peel them up, tap studs over whith small tack hammer, flip over, move leather and repeat, just taught my wife to spot chaps and couldn't be happier than a fox in a hen house, She is doing great, you will get the occasional obstinate spot that has to be pulled and redone but not very many. For me the secret is getting the legs in the middle of the setter and hitting straight down each time. Easier said than done, but with practice is pretty quick. Happy spotting.

Jake

Check out our New Spot Setter! I will be happy to send you all the info. With over 30yrs in the leather industry, you can be sure our spots will do the trick.

New member as of last night....sorry for the delayed reply.

Happy New Year !

Tim

I do alot of hand setting of spots and would second what Jake stated above. I also use a piece of heavy leather underneath. It works very well overall. I do have more trouble setting brass spots vs steel spots though.

Hello Tim,

Send me the info on the new spot setter.

Thank you and God Bless.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Here is the link to view our spot setter in action:

You will need to go to youtube site to properly view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8YaGrx9cVg&feature=em-share_video_user

Edited by TIMCO now SX

Hi Horseplay,

We do our best to use the same hardness level for both steel base and brass base spots. This allows our customers to use brass base spots for high end work and steel base for low budget items....on the same machine and die set. The same can be said for our Stainless Steel as well.

K. regards,

Tim