Zeva

Make Leather Look Worn Out Using Chemicals

I want to make leather look really warn out and stained, using some kind of chemical. It should not be pretty, I´m looking for a strong effect. Any suggestions are appreciated

I don't know how much help this will be but Will Ghormley makes leather look worn and used for movies. What kind of used are you looking for?

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/

Thanks for the link PutnamLeather. Perhaps I can send Will Ghormley an email and ask him. I want the leather to look like it´s been sprayed with acid. I have tried oxalic acid but the leather I´m using is a bit oily and nothing happend.

You could dampen the leather, put a damp rag over it and let the mold eat it for a few days then clean it.

I haven't tried it on leather but you can get concentrated sulfuric acid at lowes, its car battery acid. People use it for clearing drains and washing drivewaws. It can be some nasty stuff if your not carefull but it will definatly give you the acid burned look. :)

Wouldn't it depend on what kind of leather it is, what finish it has on it, etc?

If it's dyed, i'd reckon acetone applied in some way will age a finish pretty rapidly.

For veg tan try oven cleaner, rub the pouch on its wear areas using something abrasive like bricks, etc., wet it and bend in weird shapes and let dry with folds and bends. Just a few options and combinations.

Get ahold of Chuck Burrows videos on holsters or knife sheaths, he gives great tips on aging leather. Go to his site Wild Rose Trading Company wrtcleather.com you will see some great examples. If you try to use acid of any kind on leather rinse well and use a baking soda bath (short exposure) to neutralize the acid. A simple way to stain leather if it is not blakc wet the leather and take pieces of metal - steel, iron. lay it on the leather and leave it there check from time to time, you will see black stains begin to appear under the metal. Leave the metal there until you have achieved as much black as you want. I think sulphuric acid straight on leather may be more damaging then what you want. Rubbing items with steel wool also helps.

Edited by camano ridge

I became a member of Leatherworker.net a few years ago but forgot about it and this is the first time I´ve asked a question. Thank you all so much for your answers, I didn´t expect that much. Sorry if I use the wrong words for the technical terms as English is not my first language, don´t hesitate to correct me.

A while ago I was able to buy 12 hides of cow leather for a very good price and that is what I want to use. It´s dyed brown, it feels quite oily and the surface is rather water resistant so it´s not so easy to affect it. I have tried oxalic acid, aceton and chlorine so far. I will experiment with your suggestions and see what happens. My inspiration for the look I want was an episode of the TV show Project Runway (s10 ep 13). A participant made a leather skirt that he accidently spilled bleach on and it gave the leather a really interesting look. That leather was of course nothing like the one I´ve got.