paprhangr

Knotted Stamp

Just got this stamp I really like the design it makes. But it seems difficult to line up

Easy to mess up, anyone got any tips how to ?

image-7.jpg

I have to use a grid pattern on the leather to keep those stamps in line.

Tell me more

There isn't much to tell.

You measure and make a light grid pattern on your leather or use a craftaid.

Line the edge of the tool with the lines on the grid and start stamping.

You should try several test pieces if you have never used this tool.

I always start in the center and work my way to the border checking the measurement from the stamp to the border at the top and bottom of each row.

That stamp is commonly called a 'tri weave'. There was a discussion on here a long time ago about it. Took a little searching but I found them again.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4459&hl=%20tri%20%20weave%20%20stamp&st=0

and

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24009&hl=+tri%20+weave%20+stamp#entry152869

I don't recognize the stamp you have but it looks like a good one. They are definitely one that takes skill to run well. i have one and it is a craftool, but it actually works pretty well. You will want to check yours to make sure it is symetrical. Sometimes the lengths of the sides are not always the same so if you turn the tool it will give you a different impression and things won't line up. Try stamping it in cased leather, then turn the tool 120 degrees and stamp in the same place. If the impression doesn't line up the second time (at least around the edges, the center doesn't matter much) then the shape of the tool will be a problem. If that doesn't line up, it's not the end of the world. You just need to know to keep the tool always oriented the same way when stamping.

The threads I linked to have some info on using this stamp and problems with them, maybe they can give you some help too. Unfortunately it's one of those geometrics that takes a LOT of practice.

Hope this helps,

Bob