Hibernicus

Attaching A Pin?

Hi guys. I made this leaf and I was thinking of making it into a brooch, but I'm not sure how I would attach a pin to the back so it would be secure. I don't know if any of the glue I have will hold it and I dont really want to punch holes in it for rivets or stitching. Any ideas?

9503fe9f-5844-4215-8546-10f627731227_zps910e79a2.jpg

You can attach a broach pin to a light piece of leather and glue leather to leather.

Hey thanks for your reply. I don't have access to any thinner leather right now, but I might try attaching the pin to some canvas or other fabric and glueing that on the back.

That is a beautiful leaf! I love the pin idea. :)

Thanks a lot! Making these is simple enough but rewarding for a beginner like myself. Here is another one I made with a hole punched to use as a pendant and coloured with acrylic paints.

leaft_zps64716b29.jpg

Since it'll be a decorative item, maybe you can get away with stitching through half the thickness of the leather with a curved needle. You could then reenforce the stitching with a shot of wood glue afterwards.

This is just a stab here, so I have no idea if this is a good option or not, but if the leather is sufficiently thick enough, the stitch might not need to come all the way through the leather. I certainly wouldn't suggest it for anything that would need to support any weight, but for something going into your hair or in your sweater, it's probably not an issue.

That's some really nice work.

At the auto stores you can buy rtv sealant that is clear... it is like a very sticky silicone, and stays flexible after drying. I used that to glue horseshoes to coasters and it seemed to work well. I think hot glue might be too brittle when dry. Rubber cement may also work.

If you line the back with, for example, canvas, you could set the pin into that without piercing the leather at all.