RiverCity

Burnishing Wheels

Do and of the burnishing wheel makers make anything that can mount on a bench top buffer? Ive seen the drill press, dremel versions etc. I like the looks of the Weaver machine, but its way too spendy for what it is, and I dont have access to a lathe to turn something.

Chuck

You may be able to get a screw on chuck to fit one of the spindles on your buffer then you can chuck in the drill press style.

Thanks guys. I know who makes burnishers, what I need to know is if anyone makes one that fits a bench top buffer without having to put an adapter on it or rig it in some way. Would need a threaded insert in one and a jam nut up against it to hold in on the motor.

Chuck

I don't think you would want to turn that, it would be labor intensive and costly.

A circle cutter or bandsaw would be my choice.

Circle cutter would be my first choice.

http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/734-x-3434-Maple-Wheel-P3527C202.aspx

Edited by Tree Reaper

Not sure that this is a safe route. Unless you had a speed controller to bring the RPM's way down, you'll run the risk of it detonating in your face.

The irregular nature of wood combined with very high RPM's in a large ( 7"-10") diameter disk is a recipe for disaster.

I had a good friend share a story about a place he worked. One of the machine shop rules was that with the 15" grinder, it needed to be started and let run for 15 minutes before being considered safe to use. It was isolated in the shop and nobody was allowed near it until after the 15 minute mark. The general consensus with the younger guys was that it was a stupid rule to follow until the one day that it detonated in that warm-up period and punched a hole in the cinder-block wall behind it.

Granted, a buffer isn't the same thing as a 12" grinder, but the type of danger is. I hate to sound like Chicken Little about the safety aspect, but I'd hate it even more to find out someone got injured, or even killed, from an over RPM'd wooden burnishing wheel. Just keep the RPM's down and the 80 MPH wood chunks from flying into your face.

If I was making one of these I would laminate between two pieces of 1/4 plywood and then cut it out.

I may get around to it soon.

Apparently Im not explaining things right. :unsure: First off, there are buffers that run in the 1700 rpm range. Im not talking about a 6" disc, and construction wise its about as simple as a lathe project can be.

Thanks for the answers guys. I was just asking if anyone knew if any of the known burnisher makers make a sleeve type burnisher for a bench buffer.

Thats ok, Ill keep looking!

Chuck

How long do you need it?

How long do you need it?

Without measuring the Weaver, I would guess it somewhere in the 4-5 inches long range. If folks havent seen what Im talking about heres a link

Their machine looks good, but its pricetag is a bit high for my wallet.

A 75 dollar buffer and the burnishing wheel would save about 300-350 bucks, and from what Ive heard you cant just buy a replacement from Weaver.

Chuck

Edited by RiverCity

Any wood working shops in your area or a high school with a shop class?

You could probably make several with a hole saw , drill out the hole to the larger arbor size then put them on the shaft.

Make the grooves with a small wood rasp as the machine turns.

Apparently I'm not explaining things right. :unsure:

Boy, was I off by a wide margin. My apologies. I had something far different in mind.

I agree that making your own would be quite a bit cheaper. The bonus is that it'll have customizations that you want.

I'm thinking that a decent motor, some pulleys and, a pair of pillow blocks, and an arbor, and you'll be in business. I also think that it'd even possible to build your burnisher and use it to turn your wood chunk right on it. I still a speed controller would be a good feature, but that's just me.