Sign in to follow this  
HorsehairBraider

New Hackamore

This one seemed to take forever, and at last you can see some of my leather work. The bosal is horsehair, with thread knots, the headstall is leather with thread knots and sterling silver hardware (some of it fabricated by me, but not all of it) and the throat latch and mecate are cotton and thread with mohair tassels. This customer really likes the black and white motif, so hopefully she will be happy even though it is a little loud for my taste:

IMG_0486.JPG

Here is a detail of one of the thread knots:

IMG_0500.JPG

And of course, here is the obligatory "giant penny" picture!

IMG_0507.JPG

post-5309-1200778754_thumb.jpg

post-5309-1200778885_thumb.jpg

post-5309-1200779009_thumb.jpg

That is exceptional, very cool. I made the mistake of showing my 4 year old who has her very own remuda, and she is pretty sure that she needs daddy to make few of those.

Thank you for sharing

Rob Gerbitz

what are you kidding me? how on earth did you braid that bozel under a microscope? that is great work I am very impressed I can barely braid with 3/32 leather lace with my big thumbs.

HorsehairBraider

That is just pretty dang cool. I would lke to make a set for my girls. The only problem is they have about fifty little horses between them. And they would want one for each horse. Thanks for sharing Mike

Wellll Obviously somebody is making a killing off of his leather work...did ya see the size of the rock on that woman's hand?!!!!!

Nice work, there, I'm as impressed with the scale as I am the craftsmanship.

I'm guessing workshop space isn't an issue here......

@Skip: Yes, I do work under magnification at all times but not a microscope. :D I wear a visor on my head (just like any jeweler would).

For you dads: good luck, it's not easy but on the other hand thread is cheaper than leather! Although it is hard to skive the leather down thin enough to look right. Maybe this will be a great way to get the kids started in leather work? ;)

@TwinOaks: Well, I'm a jeweler so the space I am accustomed to using is about the same. I was pretty surprised, but there are collectors out there who really prize truly authentic braided tack that is made to scale. It's kind of hard to work on this scale. You are focusing only inches away from your eyes, so if you drop something it pretty much just disappears, and then you have a time of it finding whatever it is. Also, you have to *REALLY* know your knots or you just get totally lost. And good eye spotting that rock on her hand... :D

More beautiful work! I think I would end up going crossed eyed even with the jewelers visor. I love seeing these and hope you post more.

Heather