Has anyone ever found or used a riveting plier instead of a drive rivet set? I am trying to rivet leather to hair barrette clips, and don't have a direct line of drive because of the shape of the clip. Are there pliers out there with narrow jaws that will set double cap or even splash rivets?

Thank you.

I haven't used pliers but I have used a pop rivet tool.

Can you post a picture of it?

Kevin.

post-13114-0-82738900-1367081459_thumb.jHi Kevin,

Here is a image of the basic clips: https://www.etsy.com...t=barrette clip

And my photo of how I want it to look when done. However in this photo, only the snaffle bit was riveted to my english bridle strip first, then I used E-6000 to glue to the barrette clip, which doesn't hold, because the rivet caps underneath interfere with the adhesion.

don't have a direct line of drive because of the shape of the clip

I must be missing something, is it because the clip is curved?

Looking at the picture I would think you could set the rivet from the broach side.

It is because there are vertical supports to the clip very close to the hole. I can get a rivet in there, but I can't hold the rivet setter straight to get an even hit. Also, can't fit the anvil on the clip side, so I have to place the anvil on the top side.

Can you open the clip and then rivet or remove the clip?

How about a chicago screw?

How about a smaller punch?

http://www.mainelineleather.com/products/craftool-x-small-rivet-setter-8100-01

Edited by Tree Reaper

Can you show us a picture of the other side?

It may take a special shaped tool, . . . need to see what we are up against.

I've never really found a pair of pliers I would trust to set a rivet, . . . just cannot get enough force onto the jaws.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Dwight, the other side of the barrette looks like the photo when you click on the link in my first post. It shows you the underside of the barrette clip. The finished barrette in the picture above would not show you anything more, as I had to glue it to the clip.

My apologies, Montana, . . . I missed the etsy connection.

From the looks of the clip, . . . I'd bet that a little jig could be made like this drawing, . . . bottom is 1/4 inch steel plate, . . . maybe 4 inches square, . . . the two supports would have to be 3/8 or 1/2 inch steel, . . . and they would be as long as the plate is wide.

You could then lay several side by side, . . . rivets pointing up, . . . cap em and clinch em. The bottom would not be rounded, but that does not make any difference if you are using capped rivets.

In the drawing, the brown is your leather, . . . two curved black lines are the barrete, . . . the blue is all the jig to hold it. We used to make things like this all the time in the factory where I worked.

Do you have someone who could make that for you?

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-45955000-1367107922_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

Hello Dwight,

That is a great idea, and I don't know someone who can make that for me. Is that something you could possibly do and give me a quote on it? I can mail you a few barrette clips so you see exactly how it would have to fit.

thank you,

Olive

Hello Dwight,

That is a great idea, and I don't know someone who can make that for me. Is that something you could possibly do and give me a quote on it? I can mail you a few barrette clips so you see exactly how it would have to fit.

thank you,

Olive

If you want to, mail me one that is complete, . . . except for the rivets, . . . and a couple of extra barrettes, . . . at least one of em will get whacked the wrong way.

I'll PM you the address.

May God bless,

Dwight