samcolt45

Question About Casing Leather

A while back, upon leaning I was taking up holster making again,a friend of mine who makes holsters as a hobby suggested I case my leather overnight before cutting out my pattern.

While I understand the significance of casing leather that's destined to be tooled. But, when it comes to making a regulat non-tooled holster, I can't help but wonder if it's really necessary. As such, I'd welcome your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Samcolt45

Caseing before cutting out the pattern seems to me to be tottaly counterproductive. It is not needed to be able to cut the leather and once cut out the pattern needs to go through a number of processes where you would not want it to be cased.

My thoughts as well. Thanks Denster.

Denster, . . . he said it.

May God bless,

Dwight

A buddy of mine makes gun belts and custom furniture. He cuts all his leather wet. He says that it's easier to cut and does not dull the blade as quick. I agree with easier to cut. But it's not worth the time spent for what I do with holsters.

I like to punch belt slots through wet leather as it cuts much cleaner, so that operation is done right before molding.

I like to punch belt slots through wet leather as it cuts much cleaner, so that operation is done right before molding.

Along those lines, I wet my edges before I edge them. Really cuts down on the prep afterwards. It partially burnishes them as it edges. Really lays any nap on the leather down. Not sure how common or uncommon that is. I just brush the top and bottom of the edge as well as the end with water.

I believe the OP was asking about caseing the leather prior to cutting out the pattern. I agree lightly caseing the holster for punching the belt slots and for edging. My work flow is after the holster is sewen I lightly case the stitchline front and back including the areas of the belt slots and the edges and where I intend to place my makers mark. I then tap the stitchline to close the holes and stamp my makers mark. Then I punch the belt slots and edge the holster. There is a lot that goes on prior to this point where having moisture in the leather would be detrimental.