I am making a holster that will be exposed to the outdoor elements. Due to the shape of the holster that I am making and the design concept, I have to dye the front and back of the leather prior to molding to ensure color consistancy. While molding the leather for form fitting, I have found that my dye is bleeding pretty bad during casing. As well as, when the leather completely dries from molding, when applying the Resolene finish, the dye would continue to bleed during the application process. The type of dye that I used was the Fiebings Leather Dye (dark brown). Is there something that I am doing wrong? Could I be applying to much dye? Am I using the wrong kind of dye?

Secondly, other than the Resolene as the finish, what would one recommend to use with the Resolene to ensure that the finished project overtime would not leave any dye marks on one's clothing? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. ***Lisa

I have found Feibing's Oil Dyes to be superior to their regular dye. I would suggest trying them.

Resolene is an Acrylic better used sprayed than rubbed on, or cut with water to lighten it for rub use.

For sealers. I will use Atom wax, Snow Proof, Bag Kote, Tan Kote, etc.

Dying before molding will always have it's inconsistencies. Dipping an entire finished product in an oil dye mixed with neatsfoot oil may give you better results. Experiment.

Others will join in soon with their advice, I'm sure.

Lisa,

I've had better results dying it after the molding. I also use Feibing's Oil Dyes.

I use Neatsfoot oil on it before I put on the top coat. I let it dry after oiling for about 24 hours before I put on the top coat.

I like to coat mine with Leather Balm w/ Atoms Wax. So far I haven't had any problems with it rubbing off on clothes.

ArtS

What kind of holster is it that you're needing to dye prior to construction? Maybe we can offer some tips...?

I use EcoFlo dyes and I must dye after molding or else it will run. Resolene is an excellent topcoat. I spray it UNDILUTED with an airbrush. I've had no customers complain of any rub off.

As for the dye, some guys have had trouble with some browns (check the holster forum). You may or maynot be experiencing the same.

heres one to try.clean lea ,dry, then lacquer,dry,then go over with oil dye dry rub clean.oil front n bak seal bak.it really works.pete