A friend I have is selling his Ferdco 6/6 for $1k. He replaced it with a Cobra and is quite impressed with it! I would like a cobra myself but can't afford it. I have seen the Ferdco run and it seems to be good but I really have no idea on machines and whether it is worth $1k.

What do you think?

bump

Well I bought the 6/6 for $700 and got it moved in. (The thing has to weigh 400 pounds....no exxageration)

Anyway, the manual I have is not real great as it is mostly parts and there is NO troubleshooting and actually very few part names. The pictures are all photocopies of photocopies. I am having trouble with the stitch spacing. I know how to adjust the spacing adjustment but there are no little teeth or anything to grap and pull the leather so the spacing gets off. I found out today after trying to call Ferdco with questions that they have sold out to another comopany that does not have any customer service set up. Does anyone have any idea if I can get a different foot or something that will grap and pull the leather better? I know I don't want tooth marks on the leather but the uneven spacing looks just as bad.

Also, what type (material) of thread is best for chaps? I looked at some online and don't know the difference between polester, nylon, etc.

Thanks,

Nate

I'm not that familiar with the Ferdco 6/6 but I am with the Pearson No6 the feed problem you are experiencing I suspect is due to the bottom needle guide not being adjusted correctly I've included pictures of the component on the Pearson it's located just under the the slot plate as yours will be I don't know where the adjustment is on your machine so you'll have to locate it. Best remove the slot plate to give you a better idea of what's going on turn the machine until the needle is fully down and adjust the neadle guide until it's in just contact with the front of the neadle as the machine is feeding back not too much so it deflects the needle, the needle is now fixed top and bottom in the direction of feed, guide needs readjusting when changing needle size. Also check that the needle is coming fully forward for each stitch you can see at the back of the stitch length adjustment third pic on the Pearson these should be in full contact when the needle is fully forward if not the problem will be a weak return spring or incorrect tension. Your machine has the correct feed mechanism for leather unlike the 441s unison feed intended for webbing and such they just grind the teeth off the feed mechanism and pass it off as a leather machine.

post-22210-0-78741000-1373732459_thumb.j

post-22210-0-64543200-1373732475_thumb.j

post-22210-0-41949600-1373732498_thumb.j

Thanks. I'll try to tinker with it a little when I get my new thread. I am a little afraid of messing it up too much as it appears that no one will be able to fully fix anything I mess up. The guy I bought the machine from had issues with most of his stitching, too. He bought the machine new in 2001. Funny how a major manufacturer can make and sell a machine like this, include a very crappy "user manual". I ran across a machine dealer at the Sheridan show in may of this year with several Ferdcos and I didn't even think to get a card. I talked to the guy's wife and she said he knew all about Ferdcos and could help me out. Does anyone know who I may be talking about? I think they were from Idaho.

Those machine where about 6 K new and Ferdco made very good machine; 700$ must be a bargain. On ferdco`s website they wrote that the Hoffman brothers have bought up the rest of their company http://www.hoffmanbrothers.com/ You might give it a try if you have not done so yet. Is it a needle feed jump foot machine?, they look great. What about a picture.

Thanks

Tor

I have tried Hoffman Brothers and I get the run-around on their automated system. Maybe things will get better with them as the summer ends. I'm not sure what a needle foot jump machine is for sure.....but it is the needle that pulls the leather forward and the foot just applies down pressure. I'll try to add some pics when I figure out how. The only camera I have is my phone and the file size is too big.

I'm not finding the link to upload my pictures....... a little help please!

I'm not finding the link to upload my pictures....... a little help please!

Use button for more reply option and the full editor pops up

I have tried Hoffman Brothers and I get the run-around on their automated system. Maybe things will get better with them as the summer ends. I'm not sure what a needle foot jump machine is for sure.....but it is the needle that pulls the leather forward and the foot just applies down pressure. I'll try to add some pics when I figure out how. The only camera I have is my phone and the file size is too big.

Then it is a needle feed with some kind of special bottom feed, a four motion maybe. A jump foot is a either a s spring loaded or driven feeding foot ( with some people, normally it is the first)

post-33648-0-32145700-1374388856_thumb.jpost-33648-0-33193700-1374388735_thumb.jpost-33648-0-32145700-1374388856_thumb.j

Thats looks like a real leather machine, not bottom feed. Some kind of top and needle feed. Strange position of that foot, cant be right?

There are members who knows this machine, maybe they are pissed you get it that cheap. To bad Ferdco is no more, they was the pioneers in building (modify) new leather machines. I really love their work. At least one of those feets got to move, the top one must move with the needle and the other must get out of the way. Does it feed as it should?

Edited by Trox

It has to be some adjustments on the feed mechanism somewhere, height adjustment for the thickness of the leather and so on. Why do you not ask the person you bought it from. Normally you got to adjust the amount of "jump" with a jump foot machine (the bottom feet I think) with the thickness of the leather. It has to move out of the way for the other foot, the top one who moves with the needle. Ferdco pimped exiting machines added needle guides and feeding features (and more) to make them better. There got to be similarities with original machine (maybe thats the Pearson #6). I have only seen pictures of these machine, they do not exist here where I live.

You will get the hang of it.

I'm in the process of uploading some videos to youtube. My internet is terribly slow so it's taking forever. I should have the link up by morning!

I'm in the process of uploading some videos to youtube. My internet is terribly slow so it's taking forever. I should have the link up by morning!

Will you post the link here later?

I'll have the other one up in a minute. According to my user manual, my upper tension is too loose, or the bobbin is too tight. The manual also says that the bobbin tension was set at the factory and should'nt need adjusted. SO....when I back the upper tension waaaayyyyyy off it stops pulling the bobbin thread up through the hole as bad, but the over all stitch is pretty loose. (You can pull it with your fingers) Would this be because the thread is too big/this machine is too heavy duty for what I'm doing?

I typically sew 8-9 oz. tooling leather on top of the various chap leathers so the thikness problem would be solved there, but I do double over the top of the leg and sew it to itself (to give a nice smooth looking finish) and that is only 2 layers of chap leather, and I have the problem of the bobbin thread being pulled up through the hole.

I have some lighter thread on it's way and should have it by tomorrow. (138) So I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Right now I have a 277 top thread and a 207 bobbin and a #180 needle. The manual only lists specs for 4 different needle sizes - 250, 230, 200, 180 with the 180 being used for the 138 thread. I don't mind the hole being a little bigger than I need for chaps as long as the stitch is pulled tight..... and right now it isn't.

Edited by wyomingcowboy

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=33384

for the thread and needle sizings...

the foot not coming up much is an adjustment that looks like should be done where the big spring up[ top is? if your using the thinnner chap leather you might not have enough pressure on the leather to hold it down, which will mess up a stitch as well in my opinion... just throwing options at you!

A little bit unsteady camera movements there. Nevertheless, I understand how its working now. The machine is a needle feed jump foot with an extra top needle guide. What looks like an extra foot is actually a needle guide, it make sure the needle do not bent away from the hook. If it does you will have a skipped stitch as the result. Thats the Ferdco mark, they have several patented needle guides who makes their machines in to very fine leather tools.

It lloks like the machine works as it should do, no reverse on these; you have to use the poor mans reverse. What will work better than a standard one with leather needles (I mostly turn on my 441 too).

It pains me to see you run it without material in, do not do that you will ruin it that way (take out the bobbin thread too when you not are sewing, so you want get a backlash).

Its lots of adjustments on the back side of it, that arm that moves sideways will perhaps adjust the stitch length. It looks like the second tension disk has a take up spring, then you can thread one and a half time around it to get more top tension. You will get the hang of it, very nice find for the money. All machines has a learning curve, try to do some sewing with it.

Tor

I agree with Turbotex you must try some real sewing with it.

You have threaded it right true the take up spring disk, so the spring works. One and a half turn and up over the spring (second disk). This is not a chap machine, use some more under its foot. Everyone has tension problems with new machines. Just get familiar with it, and use it in its comfort zone until you get it right. The jump foot should just get clear of the material, put more under its foot and it still will.

Tor

Thanks guys. I'll make a few adjustments per your instructions and give it a shot with lighter thread tomorrow. I just about have the tension figured for the 2 layers of light chap leather. It's a little inconsistant, but like you say, this machine isn't for the light stuff. It will get the job done.....it sure beats the crap out of hand stitching!

I can adjust the tension for the 8-9 0z./chap leather combo pretty easliy and it does a pretty good job. The only trouble I have there is the tight corners and the back stitching. I'll have to use the crank handle more but like I just said....it beats the crap out of hand stitching!

The lack of instructions in the ferdco manual is quite frustrating. They made fine machines but they needed to hire a teacher to write the manual!

Edited by wyomingcowboy

Hold your thread tight when you start sewing (top and bottom for the first four stitches or so). When you lift your foot to do a corner, make sure your needle is down (just past the bottom dead point and catched the bottom thread) before you lift your foot. Or else you will get loose stitches in the corners. Adjust the tension mainly using the top tensioner, keep the knot in the middle of the material and a tight stitch. When you back stitch to lock the seam; hold your thread ends tight ( like in the start of the seam). You might have to adjust both the bottom and the top tension, try to avoid the bottom unless you have to use it. Remember it probably was set up fine from before, when you forget to hold down your thread ends tight at the start; you will get loose stitches and it looks like the tension is wrong.

HI, I think Luberto made 3 machines, the Cub, the Classic and the no 9. This machine has to be one of those models. Clearly its not the 9, so it would therefore be one of the other two. Plenty of people on leatherworker own these models and would be able to help. Les was right in what he said about the no 6 Pearson, however this is not the same machine that he is thinking of, it has a completely different shuttle and underdrive system. Needle feed is usually very accurate, this machine I believe has needle feed and a jump foot/walking foot? so should be excellent. Its not made for soft materials though, you need a decent piece of leather under it to get proper stitch lengths.

This is a needle feed with a jump foot, and the strange looking front top foot is Ferdinand JeanBlanc patented upper needle guide http://www.google.com/patents/US5762014.

He pimped allot of machines in to leather stitcher's, like the Bull machines. He took a Juki TSC 441 and made it in to the pro 2000 twenty years ago. The todays 441 leather clones are all based on his machine. Before that he used Adler's 105 and 205 needle feeds, Singer 45 B6BC (needle feed) or Seiko Ch/ Consew 754 needle feed to make the Ferdinand 900 Bull.

I remember I have seen this Ferdco 6/6 on the Ferdco website some years ago, now I cannot find any info on it. I do not know what machine its based on. However it looks the same as a Luberto with a upper needle guide added.

Luberto writes on his website he received the rights to produce several machines from Ferdinand JeanBLanc. Ferdinand JeanBlanc is the man behind the no closed Ferdco company. I know we have members who can tell this story, so far they have not posted anything. To bad the Ferdco company is closed, They made allot exiting new stuff for the leather business.