Discgolfer

Tandy Leather Factory.. Has Anyone Noticed That They're Faking Their Loyalty Anymore?

If you are buying Tandy and complaining about it, you have grown out of it. We all kind of start at Tandy, but in normal progression of skill level and even just basic curiosity, you should be moving on. We all need basic things, tools, leather, and supplies. Back in the '80s and 90's I could get decent product at Tandy, but in the 21st century their business model changed, they just didn't have what I needed. That's not good or bad, it is just the way it is. So suck it up and get on the phone.

Some places to start:

SLC -- Novice or experienced, this is a good supplier, carries darned near everything, if you can't find it, ask!

Sheridan Leather Outfitters -- Vandy is the direct line into Bob Douglas' toolroom. good leather too.

Brettuns Village -- I find some rather unique items there, if you have a use for them you may be in luck. Good tools too.

Ohio Travel Bag -- best quality findings

Weaver Leather -- They have everything.

I buy veg or veg/retanned leather only from Horween, Wickett & Craig, and Hermann Oak, and special oak tanned products from Baker in England and JR in Germany.

There are really good sellers of chrome tanned product all over the country.

Hide House

Hidecrafter

SLO

SLC

Golliger

Thoroughbred

There are many others but I've used all of the above.

For exotics I only use 2,

Jerry van Amberg

Eric Edrich (Hidecrafter in Houston)

That should give you a start.

Art

Edited to add Zack White Leather in NC ~Johanna

Well put Art and thanks for the supplier list...that is the best part of this whole thread

Ironically The Leather Factory was started by disgruntled Tandy employees, and Hidecrafter was founded by Tandy's George Hurst. Springfield Leather was once a Tandy store, and Kevin was one of the top managers they ever had. He bought his store when Tandy shut down the retail outlets in the late '90s. Independent stores (like SLC, Zack White, Standing Bears etc) have to have so many dollars worth of Tandy inventory to be considered a "dealer" and get to use their logo and be included in some advertising. Tandy used to make most of their stuff- I got to tour their facility in 1997 and saw the ladies with the huge thumbs from making lace, the craftool line, the clickers and the lines where kits were assembled, the Pro-Dye lab and so forth. As store managers, we were encouraged to court prison, hospital and camp sales because you could spend all afternoon with a customer who wanted to make a holster, and that wasn't as good for sales as the institutions, even though they got wholesale pricing.

Any leather store is only as good as the people that work there. When you find a supplier that works with you and gets you what you need, stick with them and shout their praises from the rooftops to keep them in business.

~J

I got a flier from my local TLF advertising a fathers day sale which they had a few managers specials that included the Al Stohlman mauls on sale for $39.95 for the small one. I have to confess I had been wanting one of these for a long time but just was not going to spend full price of $89.95 (or $72.00 with my gold club membership) so I just waited because I knew eventually I would catch them on sale.even at the sale price I am pretty sure they made at least ten dollars profit if not more.

I have to admit it is a really fine quality maul and the weight of the small maul is just right for stamping.

so I have decided that when my club membership expires I am not going to renew and just catch the sales and keep My SLC membership current.

I have been mainly ordering through SLC ( where i am there isn't a local leather shop!!) I've been looking at Weaver Leather stuff, but trying to find a place where I can order ( since i don't consider myself to be good enough or big enough doing leatherwork to get a biz number and try to order wholesale.... need to just call them when I get a chance.

Thank you for that supplier list it is wonderful. And glad i'm not the only one frustrated with the quality of Tandy right now.

As a guest, I have watched this thread with interest. I stamped leather at home for fun a while during high school. Recently, I have been working on getting back into it and have actual projects.

I have the most basic equipment, and just purchased some things from Springfield.. Thankyou guys so much for talking about SLC, by the way!! I have been really nervous about buying from suppliers and not knowing for sure if they were genuine or reccommended. I saw the list of suppliers- are they mostly just leather suppliers? I am really disappointed in Tandy.. I don't remember them being so expensive sixish years ago. Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area and we cannot really travel much. I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me about other good tool/supply selling online stores? I'm only able to buy the minimum right now, with us fixing up our new-old house and all. I'm wanting to get enough though, that I can sell some things so the hobby pays for itself, and I get to enjoy doing it too. :))

I just ordered 3 quarts of ClearLac from SLC. While Tandy is busy being green and not carrying NeatLac anymore, SLC knows enough to

carry what we actually want versus trying to shove that eco-foo-foo stuff down our throats. Thanks guys!

Tonners, I'm another one that is in a rural area, have to have everything sent to me through the mail. I'm thankful for this site as it allowed me to find SLC and I order through them, I also am checking out other suppliers, and like the look of Double K as they have some nice patterns and other supplies also ( they bought Hide Crafter i think?) and I also like to go check Sheridan Leather on a regular basis. I'd like to order through Weaver but don't have a biz number so not up to buying whoesale yet. That and i need to get myself a space that i can dedicate to leatherwork~

Tandy I check regularly, as sometimes they have a sale i'll take advantage of, like the Stolhman books vol 1 and 2 in e book form for 30$... otherwise I avoid them..... though I may shop in at their store that is about 3 hrs from me the next time i'm in that city..

I used to really like tandy but lately, with their price changes I have lost faith in them. hell, they don't even give free tools to their gold members anymore. I have had some pretty bad shipping problems with them in the past. i will NOT be renewing my gold membership again, as I am not really interested in their pattern library... for the price of their membership, I think I will be shopping elsewhere in the future.

LBennett, I'm off to look into those three right now!! I've found a few websites online myself that seem to sell toolwork and such, but they never seem to have the description very detailed, like the brand of tool or what its made from. I'm pretty sensitive about the way a website looks, too.. Some I'm just too nervous to even give a try. I'm lucky I can get my practicing scraps free!!

Most of the stuff Springfield has will serve you well. The have stuff for all levels and some Tandy items too, so if you're not sure, just ask them and they'll get you sorted out. Another good spot for tools is Barry King, as well as Sheridan Leather Outfitters. Most of my frequently used tools are Barry King bevelers and swivel knife - aside from my Leatherwrangler's knife and Bearman Maul, but those are custom and pretty pricey.

Tandy is for most of us "the introduction to leather working". It is for the casual crafter, not trying to make money, just making things for themselves, friends and family. As your skills increase you realize their limits as well as your own about some of their practices. I only use them when it benefits my needs, whether it is an item/material they put on sale I can make money with or I did not plan well and need an emergency package of rivets or fasteners to complete an order.

One thing that you may consider is to go online and apply for a EIN number as a business. There is no cost for it and you can print it within minutes, take it to tandy so they have it on record and BINGO, you have a discount! You will need to collect tax on items you sell and send it in but this will get you wholesale prices at tandy.

As "Tree" has mentioned, MOVE ON! there are so many other suppliers that do a better job then Tandy! Use them, get to know them. Use the search function here on the forum for special issues you come across, many of us have already had whatever trouble you may run in to and the answer might be here! Or just ask in a post if you cannot find it yourself.

I agree totally with this....with the internet these days, if you feel you're getting ripped off by Tandy, it's your fault, not theirs.

I just started buying from Springfield and I can't seem to find the post, but someone mentioned that Springfield honored Tandy's Gold Membership, and SURE ENOUGH THEY DID!!! :notworthy: . That saved me even more money that I don't really have. I started looking for a new place to shop, only because I was getting gouged, not the fault of Tandy, by Shipping costs and Tax. I live in NYC and Tandy's store is way the F out there for me, about a 6 hr drive, so I can't just pop in there and have to suffer both tax and shipping costs.

Springfield is such a great company to deal with, their shipping costs seem cheaper as well for some odd reason, I bought a side skirt and a bunch of tools, vs Tandy where shipping was a few bucks more for almost the same stuff i put in my cart. Over all my experience with Springfield has been amazing, cheaper prices, friendly people, saved even more money using my Tandy Gold membership. I love that company, gonna get more stuff from them, though I'll still shop at Tandy when they have stuff on sale, like .39 cent buckles, even with tax and shipping some prices couldn't be beat.

I've been at this leather thing quite a while, and as such I've done business with Tandy, and then Leather Factory , and the Tandy/Leather Factory. I have been on their lowest pricing level for many years. Today I had the rare occasion to visit their store in San Antonio, Tx. and was amazed at the prices they have come up with. Even at my advantageous level the prices are pretty close to ridiculous. $27.00 for a quart of Feibings Pro Oil Dye, $24.00 for a dozen Black Sam Browne Studs, and $1.80 for ten wool daubers. $52.80 total. Not so very long ago that same small selection would have cost $13.00, $6.00 and $.80 total $19.80.

I realize that EVERYTHING is overpriced now, but this much of an increase just seems a little excessive and does cause me to agree more with the original poster of this thread.

Paul

I'm not sure if this is true at all locations, but I was told by staff at the local Tandy that they would provide Elite-level pricing if you could provide a resale certificate - without having to pay the $150 annual fee. Couldn't find any confirmation online, but it may be something to look into.

I'm not sure if this is true at all locations, but I was told by staff at the local Tandy that they would provide Elite-level pricing if you could provide a resale certificate - without having to pay the $150 annual fee. Couldn't find any confirmation online, but it may be something to look into.

It is true.

The new plan to try to mask their high pricing for the 2014 catalog is to convert all the leathers from being sold by the sq. foot to selling it by single price.

So a double shoulder like their 9052-02 will be like $133 (retail). Problem is their sizes are so inconsistent, you might get a 12 foot shoulder for the $133 ($11.08 sq.ft) or an

11 foot shoulder for that same $90 ($12). They are really counting on their customers not doing the math.

They have already started selling them by the piece as 'specials'. and they no longer list an 'average' square footage.

Corporate greed reins supreme at the evil empire.

Hide House is also a source for HO veg-tan and for me is a day trip which allows me to walk into their warehouse and hand select my hides. Not to mention, being a registered business I get the bottom line pricing. I also get the same support from SLC and have no problem having it shipped to me. I do use my local Tandy store for small, last minute things and haven't used a kit in over 30 years. I have been designing my own products and templates for a long time and can't see any reason to stop. Take the Top Notch wallet kit for example, Tandy sells it for about $20.00, the back is cheap veg-tan, the linings are hard as a rock, the lace is the cheapest and thinnest 3/32" I have ever seen, and the parts never fit together. When I make that exact same thing from my own Premium stocks, my cost is under $5.00, only the best piece finds itself as the back, my lining leathers are clean, soft, and consistent, my lace is Premium Calf that actually comes in at 3/32", and all of my parts fit right the first time without any risk of having to reshape them.

When Tandy quit being a Leathercrafters supply depot, they lost their following and the respect of even the hobbiests in the market.

Sadly, Tandy is like most establishments these days. If you develop a relationship with some one there you do a little better but the corporate mentality makes it hard to get good, knowledgable service

Sadly, Tandy is like most establishments these days. If you develop a relationship with some one there you do a little better but the corporate mentality makes it hard to get good, knowledgable service

that and they don't really care if their employees and managers even know leatherwork. Only that they sell and up-sell you. That's why they have replaced the majority of the older 'expensive' managers. It's amazing how many past customers still come to me for advice vs. the store.

Edited by Studio-N

I am fortunate that the managers and employees at my local tandy are like friends, I never buy much, but when I need something they are the best. With the business pricing everything is reasonable, but few things are of sufficient quality for my purpose. That being said, my leather comes from WIckett and craig, and and most of my tools and supplies come from weaver leather. I find weavers prices are quite good for the quality. Usually when I go to Tandy it is for dye, hardware, etc.

I am fortunate that the managers and employees at my local tandy are like friends, I never buy much, but when I need something they are the best. With the business pricing everything is reasonable, but few things are of sufficient quality for my purpose. That being said, my leather comes from WIckett and craig, and and most of my tools and supplies come from weaver leather. I find weavers prices are quite good for the quality. Usually when I go to Tandy it is for dye, hardware, etc.

ya I have developed a friendship with the guys who work at my local TLF also for I an there just about every saturday and I will buy sale items andmiscelaneous items but my major purchases come from Springfield.

I wish I was experienced(skilled) enough, and had enough to do, to make the cost of purchasing GOOD tools and stamps from someone other than Tandy... BUT, Tandy has put the brakes on my desire for Leathercrafting period, thanks to them becoming Corporate Pigs, instead of a Profitable Company still LOYAL to people in the craft!! I did some leatherwork as a young man.. but once out of High School, Girls and Drinking made it not so cool.. So didn't get back into it until 20 years later.. Found the new store in my city that they opened after the old one had been closed years before. I became a Wholesale Club member (GOLD), as it was a nice way to save some money..

WELL... Tandy "obviously wasn't making enough money this way, so they stopped the initial Wholesale Club, and came up with the "Elite".. Gold Membership was/is $35.00 a year... When they started the "?Elite?" level, they essentially just increased the PRICE of Gold Membership Benefits/Savings and gave it a different name.. charging $150.00 a year for the "SAME" (or sometimes worse) discounts as they had been giving the Original GOLD Members... then, the $35.00 a year Gold Members got shafted, and now had to pay MORE for the same items than they/we had been paying in the past?

I contacted Tandy Corporate numerous times after their change... whenever a new SKIVER came out... asking them why as a GOLD member I was having to pay MORE than in previous years??? At first they told me I wasn't/Gold members weren't paying more... then when I cited examples, they told me that "their" costs had increased.. When I showed them 30 items that had been the same price for 2 years, but now cost Gold members more than it had in the past, and that now, to get 25 of those 30 at or near the price we had been able to, I/We had to pay the $150.00 a year and become an "?Elite?" member?!?!

They took the information I gave them, and this is what they did.. they told me "Sorry, that's how it's going to be.. If you don't like the NEW Wholesale Club Memberships, you can get your Membership Refunded...

Am I the ONLY person that has seen this/been impacted by this??? I guess what makes this worse for me, is I am disabled and unemployed now, and there's a snowballs chance in hell I can afford they regular sales prices, and I can't afford their $150.00 a year so I can get the benefit of pay affordable prices... I've asked if they would/could be willing in offering Military/Veteran or Disabled Membership Discounts, but Local Store Manager sent me to Corporate again, and when I got ahold of Corporate to ask, they chose to NOT return my messages(which were sincere and pleasant).., and on after 3 weeks of calling 1 time only each week, I was told that the decision for something like that was up to the Store manager??? So?? ANY HELPFUL RECOMMENDATIONS/IDEAS???? THEY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!! John

Why don't you get a tax ID # from the IRS ? You can apply on line. Once you have it you can get wholesale prices from tandy, which is very competive. I just received my order today. Got a beautiful side of 8/9 oz. 23 sq. ft. for $161.73.It was oak leaf, there middle line. The side was VERY CLEAN.

But if you say something on TV or in an interview it must be true...

I like Springfield a fair amount. At the very least they carry kydex, and other things that modern holster makers need. Not stuck in the cowboy reproduction/flintlock era

WHAT IS KYDEX ???? Don't sound like leather. Can you carve it, tool it, DYE IT ???

WHAT IS KYDEX ???? Don't sound like leather. Can you carve it, tool it, DYE IT ???

Kydex is a plastic...heat it up and wrap it around a knife/ gun, etc.....drill holes, add some rivets and presto...you're tack-ti-cool.