anglwing

Carvertool... Plastic Tools Help

I have learned so much in the past couple of days reading y'alls forum! it is fabulous! but I am now stuck.. purchased at an estate sale a huge bin of leather tools, I have figured out all except this large group... only one handle is marked and it reads carvertools 26. I think they are made of plastic... are they worth selling or should I toss them? break up the lot? many bits look to me to be duplicates... on the upper right is a bunch of metal bits that something would screw into them. I REALLY, really appreciate any help! thanks!ct1_zps6462e72f.jpg

ct2_zps339b85fc.jpg

ct3_zpsd0cf84a2.jpg

ct4_zps1a18e5c6.jpg

Middle picture looks like some sort of swivel knives...the rest I am not familiar with. I wouldn't toss any of these until absolutely sure they are of no value. Please share when you find out!

thanks eglideride! the little bits are bevelers, veiners, etc.... wondering if this wasn't a childs set... hmmmmmm

Hi,the carvertools were made by Kelly Midas from New Zealand.They are a plastic /fibreglass composition I think.The small grey ends snap into the handle and if I remember rightly you use a small pin to pop them off again.i don't think they are valuable as such but are worth while for learning I suppose.Hope this helps a bit.

There's a brief mention of carvertools here that sounds like it would be right. Might be a good lead on where to go for further information.

http://www.kellymidasclassics.co.nz/

Here's another thread I found with information on their history. I would probably contact them to see if they can shed some more light on the origins.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23943

Those brass bits look sort of like they are meant for flaring out portion of a rivet or snap to join the halves together.

I would be interested in getting one of the swivel knives for my collection.

I've got a small set of the Carvertools mainly for the history aspect rather than use they did sell fairly well on Ebay in Australia a few years ago. I do actually use the swivel knife at times as the Tandy blades fit them. The plastic in them is nylon and they were made for beginners before you moved onto the metal tools.

Very interesting. Do they sell for same price as normal vintage tools or are they cheaper. I'm asking because I'm looking for some extra tools at the moment. I want to let the kids on craft shows play with them and leatherscraps

Hey :D

I can't believe it... I have a friend who wants these clavertools (just THESE!) and asked me to look for them in London, where he had bought them nearly 30 years ago...!

But I still don't know where to search...and I'll be in London for only a few days. Could you suggest me a place, or a shop? (if there is someone from England in this forum...? )

If Anglwing wants to sell them, and they are in good condition, we could think about it.

Ah, sorry Anglwing, now I read on your profile that you are from USA... I don't know how much the delivery could cost :-/