SteelcityK9Cop

Taking The "bull" Out Of The Bull Hide Debate....

For years I have been reading the big "bull hide" pitch from various gun belt makers pitching their wares. I have also read many well respected leather workers debate the bull hide pitch as just pure "bull". So today the latest issue of ShopTalk comes and has a great article on hides (The Hide Divide).

The article goes on to describe bull hide as the only hide sold on an unfleshed basis because they are too big to fit in most fleshing machines. They are also described as the cheapest priced hides because of their age.

Sooo.. when I read these product descriptions claiming that a product is superior because it is made from bull hide, how can this be? From everything I am reading, many other types of less "mature" leather would make much better choices for belts and holsters because they tend to be more dense, have better natural fats, can be split, and will have less hide damage.

So what's everyone's opinion on this....many of you have decades of experience picking, choosing, tooling, and sewing leather for a host of projects.

I think that it's probably marketing. I read the difference between "bullhide" rawhide and plain ol' rawhide was that the "bullhide" was full thickness while the "plain" rawhide was split (I think that was in Harry Adams saddle building book). I'm not sure whether that's true or not but I think the "bullhide" tanned leather you're seeing is either an "industry term" for a certain tannage or a manufacturers marketing term (could be both). The vast majority of hides going through any tannery are going to be steer hides, I've never worked at a tannery but I have a hard time imagining they "sex" the hides. Maybe somebody else will chime in with a better answer based on more facts than I have.

Personally, I'm using H.O. for all of my veg tan and have been for the past few years and I'm very happy with it. I have used some Chahin (US hides tanned in Mexico) in the past and I liked it too. If either tannery has a "bullhide" product I haven't noticed it before.

Best regards,

Josh

I agree, it's most likely a marketing gimmick. The phrase "strong, like bull" comes to mind.

Of course, remember that hides from old dairy heifers are stretchy and scarred.