olandrea

Tigre Ritza Thread Differences

Could some one please so kind and explain to me the differences between Waxed "Ritza" Polyester Braided Thread and Tiger Polyester Braided Thread Waxed.

I was always assumption that the Ritza 25 is the same as the Tiger thread and both where made by Julius Koch? If you look at the Abbey side there are differences in price?

Thanks Olaf

The only differences I know of is that Julius Koch has the Ritza 44 for machine sewing but Abbey don't list it at that, I'd say that is what it is though. Some of the labels on my hand sewing thread have both Tiger and Ritza 25 with others it's just Tiger or Ritza 25.

The only differences I can make out on Abbey is that the Ritza comes in smaller thicknesses other than that a lot of the codes are the same and the thread looks the same. The machine stuff and Tiger have more colours compared to the handsewing listed Ritza so it might just be that they have it listed as Ritza just to differentiate the sizing for them when doing orders.

With the pricing one of the other manufacturers I use for braided thread has a slightly higher price for thinner thread so that could be the case with the Ritza as well.

If you look at Abbey Waxed "Ritza" Polyester for hand sewing 0.8mm JK21 brown 500m is 30.39 pounds and the Tiger Waxed Polyester 0.8mm JK21 brown 500m is 25.38 pounds. All is the same but the Ritza is 5 Pounds more expensive! The Ritza 44 is listed at Abbey as "Ritza" Polyester Braided Thread Silicone coated for machine sewing DKR01

Edited by olandrea

Your probably going to have ring or email Abbey to find out exactly as not a lot of people here have accounts with Abbey and you can't see the prices without logging in. I don't pay that much as it has the VAT included and I don't have to pay the VAT from buying overseas.

Ritza 25 is the waxed thread for hand stitching. The Ritza 44 is unwaxed for machine sewing. Abbey does not carry a lot of colors in the 44 due to low demand.

They are all Ritza, but Abbey stock the 25, and although they don't seem to list it as such anymore, the Ritza 20.  The 20 has a slightly lower 'poundage' than the 25, but I have never noticed a working difference between the two.   Just a price dufference.

Ignore that bit about not listed, the 20 is back on the site.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2