Boriqua

Western Cross Draw Interesting Puzzle?

I always wanted to try a western style holster and in particular a Mexican loop. So finally someone came along and asked if I would make one and I accepted the challenge. I wish I had read the Simmons PDF before but instead went ahead and bought a pattern. So far so good. Person wanted expressive leather .. check .. I did a oak tag mock up .. check .. But now for the real dilemma .. How do I get the holster in those loops ?! They are miles away.

When I was a kid my uncle thought it great fun to buy me impossible puzzles. He would have loved this one. So am I wetting the leather and then just bending the holster area into the loops. I would be afraid I will crease the holster. Man I am stuck .. any and all help appreciated.

post-38507-0-48865500-1372371727_thumb.j

Stitch your holster Then wet the holster and skirt. When weted the stitched holster will be quite bendable. BEnd it until you canget it into the top slot then pull throught he bottom slot. Put the unloaded gun in the holster shape and let dry.

I like the shape of the holster as it sits now.

I am with glockantor. I like the shape of the holster as it sits. Please post pictures as you finish this holster.

Oh my goodness was this stressful. Well it was my first shot do I guess it is supposed to be. He wanted it not to have tooling or stamping but he wanted it to feel like it had a little age on it. I found a good wrinkled leather and dyed it with cut mohagony and then did a few passes with a do brown and finally some black. It may have been much easier with an air brush but I don't have one. Stuffing the hosted through the loops without making it fold so much it wouldn't hold a nice pocket when it dryer had me insane. I think the slots wound up a little wider then I would have liked but I will adjust the pattern but I was and am stuck on when to apply finish. You really can't after you have stuffed the folder through the loops? I have a lot to learn about this type of holster. There are so many AWESOME cowboy rigs on here. I took a ton of time to do this and another but I am basically charging the guy for material. Hey he gave me an opportunity to try something new. This Mexican loop jazz was tough! Here I'd that one and a string side for him. Now on to the belt. Ugh I'm just not that smart :surrender:

here are some. Pix of each

http://www.boriqualeather.com/Cowboy

http://www.boriqualeather.com/cowboy2

Edited by Boriqua

Looks pretty good. The loops might need to be tightened up a bit. They should be tight enough to lock the holster in place so it does not try to pull out of the loop. You should have to work almost force the holster into the You shouldn't have to worry about folding the holste. Once it is in place put the pistol back in the holster and form the holster and loop. If you don't have the pistol use a hammer handle to open the holster up.

Here are a couple of pictures of one I just finnished. You can see the loops are quite snug. These are for 7.5" barrels so I had to almost fold them in half. They op[ened upe and shaped just fine.

post-15001-0-04713600-1373751278_thumb.j

post-15001-0-10609000-1373751292_thumb.j