Sign in to follow this  
rustynail

Glue/Cement, maybe edge kote?

1) Glue

I'm looking for a powerful glue that will bond somewhat quickly, that is somewhat flexible and waterproof. I'm currently using what seems to be rubber cement (from Tandy). When I bond with this cement, the grain side of the leather doesn't bond that well to another grain side side (flesh to flesh works wonders, however).

So you know, I'm pretty sure the process I'm using is the best, basically I coat both sides, wait until slightly tacky and then push together and hold firmly

What kind of glue/cement do you use and where do you get it?

2) Edge Coat

Also, I'm looking for a more robust edge coat than the yellow bottle of "edge kote" sold at tandy (only available in black and brown). I know there are better, more thicker edge coats that bond very well to edges of purses, wallets etc. Where can I get some of that? And in other colors?

Thanks all!

Brett

Brett. use the contac cement that tandy sells or use Masters Cement.

contac esantoro here on the fourm to see if he still has some of his edge coat.

i do like it. It is thicker than the Fiebings.

My answers in red.

1) Glue

I'm looking for a powerful glue that will bond somewhat quickly, that is somewhat flexible and waterproof. I'm currently using what seems to be rubber cement (from Tandy). When I bond with this cement, the grain side of the leather doesn't bond that well to another grain side side (flesh to flesh works wonders, however).

First step is to scuff up the grain side. You can use a scratch awl for a small piece, or some sandpaper for lager pieces. Plus if you want the pieces to stick together permenantly, you'll need to use either contact cement or PVA glue. (PVA glue is Tandy's leatherweld, or Fiebings Leathercraft Cement).

So you know, I'm pretty sure the process I'm using is the best, basically I coat both sides, wait until slightly tacky and then push together and hold firmly

You can also use a roller of some sort to be sure they adhere evenly.

I use Tandy rubber cement when I'm lacing or stitching because it will pull apart if i need it to. I use Barge contact cement for a permenant bond, or Fiebings Leather Cement for permenant flexible and Clear bond. I get Barge from Tandy, but you'll need a Tax ID to get it in pint or gallon sizes. I get the Fiebings from Hidecrafter's, but I'm sure there are many places you can get it.

2) Edge Coat

Also, I'm looking for a more robust edge coat than the yellow bottle of "edge kote" sold at tandy (only available in black and brown). I know there are better, more thicker edge coats that bond very well to edges of purses, wallets etc. Where can I get some of that? And in other colors?

I just use Fiebings spirit dye for the edges, and then slick it after dying it. I can get any color I want using dye vs. edge coat.

Marlon

Sounds like I need to refine my process a bit and I should be set. I'll try this out tonight and tomorrow and see what I can do.

Thank you Luke and Marlon!

Rusty,

I like to hammer my leather together as well....I use a mallet and an anvil or a steel hammer to tap the leather together, also try a screw press (or hydraulic).

Andy

Weaver and Zack White both have an edge finish. I'll try it out and report back. I'm anxious to see how it compares to LCI's edge finish.

ed

1) Glue

2) Edge Coat

Thanks all!

Brett

i use barge cement for the bonding. its more or less contact cement.

im happy with the edge coat, but i slick my edges before i use it and it appears that it stays that way after the application.

Hi Brett,

Rubber cement is not a permanent bond, so it's no wonder you're having trouble with it adhering. Marlon had good advice as to glueing the grain side. You can also use a rub stick or beveled glass to adhere the peices evenly. I rather like the new contact cement that Tandy's has, but it is expensive. Hardware stores carry Weld Wood contact cement in pint or quart cans. I think they even have gallon size cans. Personally, I like the Gel Formula. It doesn't string out like normal contact cement. Anyway, this is a much cheaper way to go, $6 or $7 for a quart rather than $23 for the Tandy's cement. Leather Weld works well for some projects, but once again, you can get Tacky Glue at your local hobby store, which costs a couple of bucks, or you can get it at Tandy's for $8. I'm not trying to put down Tandy's, as I love it there, but there are much cheaper ways to go, and get the same results.

As far as edge coat, Cheylor-Fennelli has a product that works great. They also have a fool-proof applicator to go with it. I don't know the name of the edge coat, as the label has no name, but it comes in black or brown. Good stuff! If you need other colors, I would do as Marlon does.

Kathy

Weaver and Zack White both have an edge finish. I'll try it out and report back. I'm anxious to see how it compares to LCI's edge finish.

ed

Just got my order from Weaver. They sell the LCI finish as exact touch edge paint: white, brown, dark brown, and black.

ed

As Kathy said, Dap Weld Wood contact cement from a Lowe's or Home Depot is good stuff. I use it for all kinds of things, including leatherwork.

If it's not something that needs to be flexible, I also use plain old super glue sometimes.