Macca

Attempt No.3 How To Improve Corners ?

Hi All

Saw a neat business card holder elsewhere so thought I'd give it a go as my next practice piece, still using cheap/scrap leather

Turned out ok'ish

But corners are awful, plus, I know my stitch tension is all over the place & I had my thread too short so had to go over a stitch again :head_hurts_kr:

But my main question is on cutting & stitching corners, How do you get it neat ?

I'm struggling to even cut a nice curved corner never mind figure out how to stitch it too, especially when theres a few layers of leather

Any tips ?

You can see in the last pic below, not great :oops:

US3h9oM.jpg?1

63aRhuF.jpg?1

rglys6D.jpg?1

Make this little tool, . . . use it for your corners, . . . it will not only help your corners look better, . . . it will choke down some of the frustration.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-20446200-1373371493_thumb.jp

oh, nice idea !

thanks, will give this a go

WOW love the idea (and the attached image) Dwight. :notworthy: . I've personally been getting a coin (different sizes depending on item) and then using a scalpel to cut the corner bit by bit, then use 400 grid paper to sand it down smooth.

Edited by Harag

If you're not too much in doing your own tools - you can pick up a "kit" of what looks like strap end punch on ebay... but they are only slightly curved and they are for cutting round corners.

Yeah they are chinese tools and won't last you a lifetime... but if they are taken care of and sharpen properly they will last you long enough for the money you paid them.

There's a thread in here (I think it's in the Leather Tools section) about these exact punch and people were saying that the quality wasn't that bad... we're not talking C.S. Osborne quality (far from it) - but they serve their purpose.

Best and easiest method I have found is to do the final shaping with a belt sander. Use a brand new 36 grit belt.

appreciate the suggestions

having some success using a scalpel and washer followed by a good sanding

will look more into punches though