Sovran81

Using Reverse 206Rb-5

What is the best needle position to engage reverse lever? I am worried that if engaged in the wrong position, it could bend or break something.

If you're running slow enough to tell where the bar is in the stitch, then you won't break it going into reverse. Gotta be on the upswing to complete the forward stitch, though.

If you're running slow enough to tell where the bar is in the stitch, then you won't break it going into reverse. Gotta be on the upswing to complete the forward stitch, though.

After the needle clears the leather?

If it's adjusted correctly, you can hit reverse at high speed. Not really practical on leather, but on fabric we do it all the time. Doesn't matter where the needle bar is since the feed dogs are timed so they move in unison, forward and reverse.

Regards, Eric

Thank you both JL and Eric. I was worried because a couple times when I pushed it without the machine turning the lever didnt want to move its entire travel. Its a new machine and new to me, We are both getting broken in still.

Yeah, we test the machines before they go out at full speed, forward and reverse, if they have it. Just make sure to go full reverse as quickly as possible, or the stitch length, forward to backward, may not appear the same length. No issue here if you stop, then reverse.

I think the better answer, if you will, is how to make sure the machine does not appear to skip stitches. Normally, we instruct people to turn the machine over until the needle goes all the way down as far as it can go, and then rises up a few mm. From here, you can lift the presser feet, and turn the goods in any direction, and continue stitching, with no appearance of skipped stitches.