Hi Ben, Thanks. I didn't keep good track of my time. I probably had 50 to 60 hours. It took about 25 hours of tooling and the rest dyeing and assembly. I could do it in a lot less time now. I still think 40 hrs min.

Hi Jesse, Thanks. I used Fiebings dye. Took some time to come up with that color. The dye is sprayed on with a gravity fed automotive type paint gun. I needed to thin a little more. I was only able to spray 7or 8 light passes before I achieved the color I wanted. I usually thin everything enough to spray at least 10 light coats. I think this is the best way get more even results.

4 oz. Oxblood

3 ml Light Blue

24 ml Chocolate Brown

4 ml Black

80 ml Thinner

Thanks for the comments everyone.

WOW. I need to do this. Seriously, do you have patterns you could share? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything that looks more like what I want.

Edited by cercyonis

Absolutely beautiful. Let's see, my little girl is 20 months.. that leaves me a few years to skill up ;)

You're going to let her take that to school? It's wonderful!

Well done Tim,

Your designs are top notch and your carving is excellent. The colour, finishing, and craftsmanship are superb

I love the idea of making things for the kids because they adore the object and will eventually learn to appreciate the effort also. And with you around, scuffs and scratches can be sorted out and it will last them till their grankids are old :)

I have a son who is starting school in a year's time and I was tossing up whether to try and make him a bag. Now I feel like it is the most worthwhile thing I could be doing. Like Lionfly said, I've got a while to skill up and make something worthwhile. Definitely going to buy Bob Parks book if this is the end result.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Alex

Wow, that bag is absolutely stunning! I hope the other kids aren't too envious!

a very thoughtful and full of love gift! it's like magic what you did, it's not just a piece of work to share and boast..it's a small masterpiece...