JLSleather

Post V Cylinder

What's the benefit, or the difference between a 'post' machine or a cylinder with a table?

yeah.

exactly.

This is a cylinder arm machine: post-11118-0-53752100-1377650256_thumb.j

This is a post machine: post-11118-0-71435700-1377650330_thumb.j

I'll jump on this.

The best way to know what model machine is best for your sewn goods, I always tell people to stick what is to be sewn, and see how it works. No other real substitute.

Now, for somewhat of a general answer. A cylinder bed tends to be the more common style, and is used for goods such as handbags, wallets, purses, industrial filters (double needle cylinder), luggage, horse saddle and bridle, holsters, and the like.

A post bed is a bit more better suited for goods such as doing twin needle french seeming on auto trim, furniture restoration and manufacture, and applying stripes to the sides of pants for uniforms. Single needle is great and for stitching on garments and textiles, such as applying patches.

As you can see, there is no one answer to this question, but I do get asked this question quite a bit, so don't feel bad for asking.

I used to have two old Singer post machines, both equipped with roller feet. I used them to make leather caps and cowboy hats, as well as to sew moccasins. Most of the newer post machines can sew with up to #138 thread, whereas my old ones barely handled #92.

Cylinder arm machines can be had in light, medium and heavy duty constructs. A shoe patcher (Singer model 29 and 29k) is what I would call a light duty cylinder arm machine, capable of maybe sewing no more than 1/4 " of leather with #69 or #92 thread. A Consew 227 type machine, such as the Cowboy clone that I pictured in my previous reply, can sew all day with #138 thread, up to 3/8" of leather. A big Cowboy, Cobra, or Techsew 441 clone cylinder arm machine can sew up to 7/8", with #346 thread, and even #415, using huge needles resembling porch finishing nails in diameter.

I have both types and having both is handy for different things. But if i could only have one it would be the cylinder arm machine