gentle ben

How Can I Make An Edge Beveller?

I saw a topic around here about making an edge beveller by filing a groove out of an old screwdriver. I've got a garage with screwdrivers, chisels, files and various sharpening equipment and would rather make than buy. Anyone got any tips?

Dremel cut off wheel to make the cut, with the bottom of the arc cut ending at the point the blade begins. That's one side....for the other, light file work to help keep the corner centered in the edger.

post-5374-0-84696400-1377961309_thumb.jppost-5374-0-75345700-1377961287_thumb.jp

Here's some close ups so you can see the cuts.

In his 8th bushcraft book (bush leatherworking), Ron Edwards details a number of home-made leather tools. (The appropriate section is a reprint of his pamphlet on the same subject.)

He details how to make an edge shave (edger) from a piece of 3-4mm fencewire. I did it with some 4mm piano wire, which is high carbon and so holds a better edge. Essentially you flatten the end with a hammer, cut a shallow angle notch with a hacksaw or the edge of a fine file, bend the head 'upwards' a tad for easier use, then harden, handle and hone.

I gave up after I wasted several evenings producing inferior versions of a £10-20 tool.

You're most welcome! A note about your steel choice: this is going to be a blade, so you need to use an appropriate steel. One that can be annealed for working, and then hardened and tempered for use. If you just modify an existing tool, be sure to work it "cool" and never let the temperature of your work area get too hot to touch/hold. When I do things like this with a belt sander, I keep a tub of cold water nearby for dunking, and keep a finger close to where I'm modifying. As the temp climbs, you should feel the heat spreading. When it's pretty warm.....bath time.

I tried with a tack puller from the local market stall - already has a nice v shape, just sharpen up the 'v' and flatten the bottom.

Probably too large for a 'fine' edger, but may be ok for larger/heavier leather.

Thanks, I ended up sharpening up a few things on the drill press with a sanding drum. My edge beveller was made out of a tiny 2-prong fruit fork. Doing OK so far though certainly not high carbon steel. I've got some good steel in the garage from my knifemaking days but this was a hell of a lot easier!