Sign in to follow this  
WScott

School Portfolio Help

Hello all, would like some input on this project to get some other ideas before I plunge into assembly.

I am making a leather portfolio for my son.

He is left handed so I have modeled a design from a "pleather" portfolio that I used in University.

The writing pad is on the wrong side for him, so new design is for writing pad to sit on the left, clip above it, pocket on the right, fold down the middle and a leather tab and snap to close it. We want a plastic solid writing surface on the left.

I have cut out the 4 main leather pieces (back, sides x2, pocket) and am especially pondering how to :

1. Attach the plastic clip board to the left side so there is a solid writing surface or maybe have it slide in and out?

2. Do professional looking edges...idea was from the back folding to the inside? Skiving will be a B as I will have to do it all by hand, but oh well

The photos show the rough pieces cut out, I have a 3/4 inch seam allowance from the back for the edge fold over

I am open to any thoughts, as I have had great luck with other eyes giving me great new ideas.

photo 1: the model

photo 2: loose assembly 4 pieces

photo3: plastic writing surface for left side

photo 4: right side with white pocket

post-23986-0-94499700-1377986284_thumb.j

post-23986-0-92814600-1377986322_thumb.j

post-23986-0-62585200-1377986370_thumb.j

post-23986-0-54825900-1377986436_thumb.j

Neodymium magnets might save you some hassle with the tab.

They are available in an insane variety of sizes. The cool part is that you would really only need one magnet and a small metal disk. These could even be scavenged from some other source. I've seen them used to hold the tab closed on the box that some fancy soap comes in, so it seems very plausible.

The thin metal disk would get placed in between two thinner layers for the tab and the magnet would be embedded behind the leather in the cardboard, or plastic, layer of the cover.

I'd also think that the pen/pencil holder might be nicer if it were placed vertically along the spine where the fold is. I always felt it interfered with the feel and was too easy for it to fall out placed where it is on the one you are using as a model. It also seems to leave dents in the paper, too. That's just WRONG!

Ooh, like a rare earth magnets to hold the clipboard in place???? Great idea!!!

Then I wouldn't have to glue it or stitch it down permanently and he could remove it when he wants

I have some Lee Valley earth magnets sitting on my shop desk

I was looking for a paper clasp like on the original, but could only find the cheap clasp from a dollar store folder

I could re-work the folder in wood or kydex too, but would want to find a better clasp

See, this is why I posted before plunging ahead

Fire away with more ideas to help the design challenged :)

Got a drill? Drill the rivets out of the clipboard. You can buy the clips, but since you already have this could just as well use it. Git yer left side piece where you want it. Punch two holes in it that line up with the clip. Put the plastic behind that piece and put two (longer) rivets through the plastic, the leather, AND the clip. This solves two problems .. the clip is now on top of the leather and FLUSH to hold the tablet, and your piece of plastic is retained - kaint fall out. Oh, one additional benefit of doin it this way ..when the clip wears out (it WILL), you just knock the rivets out (again) and replace the clip without destroying anything else.

The other issue, I really don't see ME rollling that entire edge. It'll be REALLY cold that day :) A fella "could" roll a binder around the edge, if you want it covered. Forget what they call that .. almost like piping. Maybe ona the sensitive, sewing types kin chime in ... :) Basically, use a 1" (ish) strip of yer lining material to wrap the edge.

Ya JLS, I was all ready to drill out the clasp and re-rivet it to the back with copper rivets

I was going to destroy my old portfolio and re-use the clasp, but it has sentimental attachment to me and was made in Canada..of fake leather

The cheap binder solved the writing on a solid surface problem so I was going to keep it intact

Folding those long four edges are what prompted this thread, as well as the curses when trying to skive them perfectly with out wrecking any edge

You guys are full of great ideas!

I am going to take the kids swimming and ponder this in the pool....last two outdoor public pool days:)

Ok JLS I have been thinking about this

Are you saying having a piping / round kind of thing glued on the outside or wrapped inside the back layer as it folds over.

I think you have a pretty good sense of why I am hesitant to start skiving that edge and just folding it over

Oh, I think this is what you meant, sorry I can be dense sometimes

this pic is from web labricoleuse.....a theatre blog

post-23986-0-66455200-1378137205_thumb.j

Edited by WScott

Spent some time testing the edge roll over.

I skived cut offs of the back and the side material, seam taped it and

punched holes. Quick stitch to see how it looks.

It folds out to 7 mm thick (about a 1/4 inch)

It feels solid and looks ok, but will be challenging hand

skiving the entire perimeter!

post-23986-0-61465000-1378157415_thumb.j

post-23986-0-22623600-1378157530_thumb.j

So this is how it turned out. Thanks to all who helped out with this.

My son loves it and as I overheard him telling his mom "dad will tell me all the things wrong with this, but it's awesome"

I do see lots I could improve on, but it is one of a kind and his now.

post-23986-0-58254600-1383022562_thumb.j

post-23986-0-05313900-1383022611_thumb.j

post-23986-0-57917500-1383022672_thumb.j

post-23986-0-61740500-1383022709_thumb.j

post-23986-0-35351400-1383022818_thumb.j

post-23986-0-38620100-1383022837_thumb.j

I think it turned out pretty awesome too!

Bob

I like how it turned out, good work.

Thanks I really do appreciate the kind words.

When I look, I aIlways think I could do things better, keep trying to push my hobby skills farther, never really happy with results.

I cringe at the stitching misaligns

I re-made that white side as it got dirty the first time and did three closure straps until I liked the width and thickness.

One day I will make something I am happy with :)

I been thinking that also-Happy with. Then I found out that comes when you hand it to someone, Whether for money or a gift and the smile and shake your hand/Hug. You did a good job.

Edited by Stewart