I just finished up this horsehide shoulder holster for a 5" 1911. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I used copper rivets to beef up the D attachment since this will most likely get a fair amount of use.

I keep meaning to make one of these for my Officers Model but so far I'm still at the bottom of the waiting list. The guy getting this one will use it enough to give me some good feedback but I'd still like to draw my own conclusions. The other guys I've built these for all say they love them but they don't use them all that often.

Anyway, horse butt from SLC, #12 copper rivets, hand stitched and finished with 3 light coats of NF oil and 2 days in the sun, topped off with 50/50 M&G and water.

Thanks for looking, Josh

post-19070-0-60686900-1378316199_thumb.jpost-19070-0-15201100-1378316210_thumb.jpost-19070-0-08508600-1378316218_thumb.j

Josh, is the holster and the mag holder a single 8-9 ounce or so? Everything I have been making is lined plus the 8-9 ounce.

Very well put together.

I have yet to take the plunge in making a shoulder rig. The hand stitching is well done! I like the set up.

Thanks guys!

Red Cent, it is a single layer of horse butt, probably around the 7 oz range for the holster and mag pouch. I think SLC claims they average between 5 and 7 oz for the horse they sell and I try to make sure to get both the holster and mag pouch out of as thick and sturdy a piece as possible. the center back piece of the harness is doubled and I'll cut it and the keeps from the lighter parts of the hides. I try to keep the straps on the thicker side as well.

Best regards,

JOsh

Very nice work. I can;t really tell from the picture, is that horizontal or vertical carry?

Thanks Malabar! it's horizontal carry basically my take on a jackass rig with some heavy influence by a similar set up Lobo makes.

Thanks for looking, Josh