Sign in to follow this  
ArtS

Horse Eye Patch

I received an unusual request from a friend.

They have a friend who's horse lost an eye because a kid shot it out with a BB gun. They sewed the eye lid or skin shut.

The owner of the horse would like some sort of an eye patch that she could hook on a bridle to cover the eye when she rides.

Have any of you ever made anything like this?

I'm thinking a leather cup that had a strap to connect it to the brow band and the sides of the bridle but I'm not sure how well that would work. My concern was about the strap going to the other side of the bridle because it might rub or hit the good eye.

I did a search online but the ones that I found looked like fly masks with a cup on one eye and the other cut out. Almost like what the race horses wear. She didn't want anything that covered that much of the horses head.

I drew a quickie drawing with MS Paint of what I was thinking.

I'd appreciate any ideas and help.

ArtS

tn_eye_patch_head_gear.jpg

EyePatch.JPG

post-195-1221700528_thumb.jpg

post-195-1221700542_thumb.jpg

I think it would depend on the type of bridle used. if as in your pic, there isnt alot of places for connecting the patch.

i think i would make one out of nylon/elastic webbing to go around where you would have a nose band and then try attaching it to the brow band like you show. however, im not sure i would attach to the cheek.

btw, did the owners shoot the kid with the bb gun so he knew what it felt like?

Edited by $$hobby

Thanks for the ideas. My poor horse is going to be the Guinea pig on this one. LOL

I hope that kid got it good! I rode one years ago with one eye. The previous owner had beat it with a belt and the buckle took the eye out. It's amazing how stupid and cruel people can be.

ArtS

Art, I have rigged a few patches for horses that have scratched an eye and had to be covered up short-term, I've always used the pink-eye patches made for cattle, they're made to be glued on a cow but I've added a brow band on a halter and sewn them to the brow and down the cheek, the ones I've did were only intended to be temporary but you might round up one of those to get a pattern from. I'd think whatever you come up with it might have to breath a little, a tight fitting leather cup might sweat him to death on a warm day. Don't know if that suggestion will help but that's the only experience I have with a one eyed horse.

your drawn idea looks pretty good. is this eye cover needed for protection, or just to cover an unsightly socket? you said the lid or skin was sewn shut, so i can't imagine it's needed for protection. if the owner is just wanting something for looks, then it should be as small and light as possible, and made to blend with the bridle. your drawing looks like you've added a cavason to attach the bottom of the cover, that could certainly be made to match the bridle. either pad it good or make sure that it doesn't rub over the socket.

or maybe the owner would like to be creative and have a flashy pirate horse!

i'm interested to see how it turns out. can you share pictures of the finishes product?

my wife was always customizing equipment whenever one of our horses were injured. but we never had one lose an eye.

good luck!

ken

I was wondering if it was really necessary to cover the eye? My first thought was something like a pigeon wing blind on a harness. it would look kind of normal, if people were used to seeing work harness, although if the eye needed to be completely covered the pattern would have to be altered.

Thank you folks for your ideas.

I don't think it's necessary by what they're telling me. I think they just want it to look better.

They're in TN and I'm in GA so I have to go by what they are telling me.

Thanks,

ArtS

ArtS:

I don't have any suggestions for an eye patch, but I also have a horse with one eye. She's 27 years old, and lost her left eye after encountering a porcupine when she was four years old.

I guess maybe some people are freaked out by the empty eye socket. Perhaps that's why they want an eye patch? Personally, I rarely even notice the empty socket anymore. I wish the horse had both eyes, but she seems to have adapted really well to having only one.