Handstitched

Help With Dimensions

G'Day,

I've been asked to make a double buckle cartridge belt similar to the one in the attached pics.

The pic was taken from an auction web site.

Although the description says is approx 2" wide, it looks more like 3" almost 4" ? looking at the cartridge in one of the loops.

The billets & buckles look about 2" ?

And the front piece look approx 6" from top to bottom.?

Some pics can be deceiving , so I just need a bit of help on the dimensions.

Thanks for any help

Handstitched

post-7215-0-02206900-1380014022_thumb.jp

post-7215-0-05581700-1380014047_thumb.jp

post-7215-0-14323600-1380014084_thumb.jp

Handstitched, . . . thanks for the exercise, . . . guy needs a mental challenge early in the morning.

On things like this, . . . somewhere along the line you have to make some kind of assumptions and hope they turn out correct.

I took a set of calipers to your lone cartridge, . . . assuming it to be a .45 Long Colt (bottom base diameter is .505, cartridge itself is .470 and went from there.

If my calculator and brain worked together like they should:

The belt is 2 inches wide, . . . the buckle is an 1 1/4, . . . the "edge of one buckle to edge of the other" in the front picture is about 7 1/2 inches, . . . and the front piece is just short of 3 inches tall.

Checking it against the other pieces we can see, . . . that should work out good, as it is a lined belt, . . . and seems to be made of 7/8 oz material.

Personally, I've never seen one like this. Thanks for sharing.

May God bless,

Dwight

G'Day and thank you for your reply.

My obvservations were way off eh ? OOPS!

After reading your post, I now have a much better idea .

After some searching I found the auction site where it came from and the info attached to the pic,

and its a '44 S & W Pistol Cartridge Belt' , which more or less confirms what you said. Thanks for that.

BUT , (theres always a 'but') My client wants me to do a similar belt for shot gun cartridges ( 12g) . He's supplied some samples for me to work with. SO, as they are much longer and fatter , I'd be safe make the belt 3 inches wide, and that front piece 4 - 4 1/2 inches.

I'll use my 'artistic licence' for the width of the buckles. maybe 1 1/4" or 1 3/4 "

Thanks for your help

Handstitched.

I concur with Dwight and I am familiar with that style it is commonly refered to as a Mexican Revolution style. I t is becoming popular in Cowboy Action Shooting and espescially mounted shooting. Attached are a picture of an original, although you cannot see the second buckle very well.There are two examples of more modern ones. The last one is a mounted shooting rig.

post-15001-0-61286400-1380083777_thumb.j

post-15001-0-39170800-1380083818_thumb.j

post-15001-0-02308700-1380083840_thumb.j

That is some neat gun leather there, camano ridge, . . . I'm always interested to see what other people do/did with their gunleather ideas. Mine are far more on the "plain Jane" scale, . . .

Don't think I'd want to tangle with the wearer of the center rig :cowgirl:

Handstitched, . . . you didn't say whether your client gave you 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells, . . . might want to put a measuring stick on them. Also, . . . from personal experience, . . . when you make that shotgun rig, . . . go with 2 inch buckles and belt tongues.

A waist full of shotgun shells is heavy, awkward, and unruly. The bigger buckle will give you a larger belt tongue to put through it. You may also want to use a two layer, stitched tongue, . . . they hold up longer, better, and are also more stable. I use them on all my big gun rigs, . . . have seen some where they used single layer, . . . the leather stretched, bent, got hard to use.

May God bless,

Dwight