Miss KamiKaze

Singer 31-15

Just measure your leather belt around the pulleys and replace it with a standard type 3L v-belt of the same length.

What are your thoughts on rubber vs leather belts? is there a difference?

Thank You very much!!!

Is your machine motor powered, or treadle powered? If motor, is it a big industrial motor under the table, or is it a tiny home style motor on the back of the machine?

The reason I ask is because most treadle powered machines use looooooong leather belts, cut to size as they stretch out with age. Industrial motor powered sewing machines are normally equipped with rubber or composition v shaped type 3L belts. These belts don't slip as easily as leather does. They are tightened by lowering the motor via its adjusting nut and bolt.

If your 31-15 has an industrial motor, it doesn't matter what type of belt you use. The motor has an adjustable nut and bolt to raise or lower it. You can lower it for more belt tension until your leather belt stretches too much. Then, remove the belt and take out the C clamp from one of the ends. Cut that end about an inch shorter, punch a #0 hole about 5/16" in from the end and bend the C clamp into it. The leather should just touch when the clamp is in position.

If you get a v-belt, make sure you get on that will fit tightly with the motor adjuster in the center of its travel. A stretched out 43 inch leather belt, already adjusted to the bottom of the motor adjusting bolt, would probably be replaced with a new 42" v-belt (type 3L only).

Thank you so very much

If your 31-15 has an industrial motor, it doesn't matter what type of belt you use. The motor has an adjustable nut and bolt to raise or lower it. You can lower it for more belt tension until your leather belt stretches too much. Then, remove the belt and take out the C clamp from one of the ends. Cut that end about an inch shorter, punch a #0 hole about 5/16" in from the end and bend the C clamp into it. The leather should just touch when the clamp is in position.

If you get a v-belt, make sure you get on that will fit tightly with the motor adjuster in the center of its travel. A stretched out 43 inch leather belt, already adjusted to the bottom of the motor adjusting bolt, would probably be replaced with a new 42" v-belt (type 3L only).

Thank you very much for your on goin help!! I've measured 36" from pully to pully... So I'm goin to order a 35" ( i remember loosening the screw to make the pully drop a lil, afew times to make belt tighter. So, I feel the 35" is the right choice!! Praying that this fixes it for me!! =D

Thanks again for your support!!!

Thank you so very much

Thank you very much for your on goin help!! I've measured 36" from pully to pully... So I'm goin to order a 35" ( i remember loosening the screw to make the pully drop a lil, afew times to make belt tighter. So, I feel the 35" is the right choice!! Praying that this fixes it for me!! =D

Aw shucks Maam, it twern't nuthin'!

Thank you so very much

Try this link. http://www.durabelt.com/beltlengthcalculator.php

Use method #3. Measure the diameter of your pulleys and the center distances and using the calculator you will have the exact length you need.