jus10

Where To Find 1-2Oz Veg Tan

Better yet, stop by any Menards, HomeDepot, whatever, and spend 4 more $ for a caliper. Doesn't need to be 'fancy' - $13 for the one I picked up. Then you can measure leather -- and a lot of other things. The "guage" thing may actually work, though I suspect it reads different in the cold than it does in the heat. The caliper will let you measure the leather, or rivets, or distance to the edge of something, or how big that circle is .. yo get the idea.

THEN, just 'figger" the leather. Each 'ounce' is a 1/64". So, mathalizing'....

1 ounce 1/64 .0156

2/3 oz 2-3/64 .0312-.0468

4/5 oz 4-5/64 .0625-0781

8/9 oz 8-9/64 .1250-.1406

Glendon is correct, you should measure with SOMETHING tl you get used to 'seeing' what you have. I've seen leather "CALLED" 6/7 that was visibly thicker than leather "CALLED" 8/9.

There is a conversion chart you could just print it off and hang that up or keep it with the tool I guess

I like the caliper idea that would come In handy with a lot of stuff outside leather .

Really you need to try a few things and see what works for you if you don't have a way you were taught. When I started in leather, I bought a set of digital calipers. I used them a lot at first, but I rarely pull them anymore. I find the simpler plastic gauge easier and faster to grab when I need to double check a piece of leather.

portel.jpghi guys, saw this thread. I'm trying to imitate this portel wallet they only make them for iphones so my htc one I measured it out and I have the bulk of it with 2-3oz springfield veg tan but I cant find any liners for those pockets. They have these wallets in all different colors so they must be using veg tan but look how thin that is! I couldn't get springfield to skive me some 1oz either.

any help/ideas?

I've been looking at 2oz smooth pig skin it says it can be dyed and its (I think ) 1.99 sq ft may be 2.50 I remember it was cheaper then bovine

But I guess you want the pockets noticeabley thinner then your 2-3 oz . I know I saw something on springfield that was under 2oz but I don't think it was smooth

This is off topic but has anyone seen iPhone cases that can be used while on the phone ? The only person I've seen making them is in Asia they use the brand name "Nerb" I saw them on Instagram this seems to be a very untapped idea

As for the grades, B grade Hermann Oak is pretty good. I only switched to A myself because there were a few marks in the middle that were hard to work around for guitar straps without killing my yield. Craftsman - I try to stay away from it. I've purchased 2 craftsman grade sides. The first had a beautiful grain side, but it was really fleshy and didn't edge that great. The second had a solid flesh side with no stringy flesh, but was pretty hard all the way through and the color was a little off. This one doesn't case well and really sucks to tool, but it does stamp alright. Dying can be tricky on that one. My point is that the Craftsman grade is pretty hit and miss, and even your hits aren't really perfect. For a little more, the B grade is an excellent choice.

Also, here's a brief guide on Springfield's site regarding leather. There are actually guides on most supplier sites.

http://springfieldle...ing Leather.pdf

Another Edit...... I just looked at your kidskin. I just ordered some of that myself for lining. It's a really popular choice and used on a lot of those really expensive designer products ;)

Cyberthrasher

Can you advise whether you get A grade of Hermann Oak from SLC or ..?

Cyberthrasher

Can you advise whether you get A grade of Hermann Oak from SLC or ..?

Springfield only carries "Craftsman" grade © and B Grade. I get A from Sheridan Leather or Goliger Leather.

Springfield only carries "Craftsman" grade © and B Grade. I get A from Sheridan Leather or Goliger Leather.

thanx for the tip. I'll check.

Don't know if you are still interested in 1-1/2 to 2 oz leather, but I order 1-1/2 calf from Garlin-Neuman leather (603-595-6319) A side cost less than $50 between 10-12 sq ft. Very nice, I use it for wallet pockets and interiors.The thinness makes it a lot easier to sew, dyes nicely and feels rich. I also use pig (and kangaroo when I can get the bundles from Springfield Leather), but I prefer the 1-1/2 calf from Garlin-Neuman.

Don't know if you are still interested in 1-1/2 to 2 oz leather, but I order 1-1/2 calf from Garlin-Neuman leather (603-595-6319) A side cost less than $50 between 10-12 sq ft. Very nice, I use it for wallet pockets and interiors.The thinness makes it a lot easier to sew, dyes nicely and feels rich. I also use pig (and kangaroo when I can get the bundles from Springfield Leather), but I prefer the 1-1/2 calf from Garlin-Neuman.

are you talking about veg tan calf?