wildrose

Your fav non-typical meat

Art, i was looking in the frozen meat case at the supermarket, and they had cow tongue, for 14.99 a pound!!!!!! Filet mignon was going for 9.99 ! As for my favorite non-typical, there's a guy who lives up-state that makes pickled deer heart. Man that's good.

Prawns (shrimp) , squid , scallops or best of all abalone , delicious ! Fav meat is typical though , cant go past a good thick lump of steak !

When we lived in the wilds of NE Washington state back in the 60s I used to hunt tree squirrels in the winter. It takes a couple dozen to make a decent meal. They are great until the snow gets so deep that they can't get to their cache of food. They start to eat pine and fir needles and then taste like turpentine! My grandfather used to hunt ground hogs and bake them up. The trick there is to bake them on a rack so the fat drips off the meat, otherwise they are pretty strong tasting. I've eaten rattlesnake, cougar steaks, venison, elk, 4 types of grouse(blue grouse are the biggest, up to 4 lbs, but they only live on the highest ridges, lots of hiking to get to them), buffalo, skunk, raccoon, and snowshoe rabbit.

Edited by gunfighter48

So how does skunk taste?

It's a red meat, was a little greasy, slightly gamey tasting, fine grained. Kind of tasted a little like mule deer venison but not as tough. The skunks in that part of the country lived off the land and not in garbage dumps. They eat small animals, grasses, wild berries, wild grains, etc.. fairly decent diet. I only had it one time, it was too greasy for my taste, but wasn't that bad. I'm glad my grandfather cleaned and skinned it!! If you shoot them just right they don't have a chance to spray their scent!!!!!!

One word.....bambi. Yum!!

Oh wait...was that two words?? Well there weas a period after the first....so it could count as one word...... But yum followed it...so I guess it is two words.... ok, lets start over...

Two words..... bambi yum!!!!

cal

Shark. Best meat I've ever tasted.

I'm originally from Louisiand and I'd like to provide quick note on nutra rats. They aren't rats in the normal sense (although are classified as rodents). They are more like beavers, but a little bigger. A few They were brought over for fur trade from Argentina. However the population exploded beyond control and they became the pests, destroying hundreds of acres of corn, soybean, etc... They were introduced in the 1930's but were claimed to all be reclaimed. However, Tabasco founder E.A. McIlhenny kept 13 caged on Avery Island, La. A hurricane in 1938 freed them and from there the population skyrocketed.

Sorry for the, more than asked for post.

Marlon

Thanks, Marlon. I had never heard of them before and I wondered, but in that picture they look a lot like a muskrat. Same family?