newshoes

Greetings!

Hi,

I've been browsing the forum for a little while, finally joined and thought it was time to introduce myself. My name is Tasha, I live in British Columbia and I am entirely new to leatherworking. Actually, my interest in leather came about as a side effect of my desire to learn how to make my own shoes. I am currently working on my third pair of out-stitched shoes molded on my own feet. Each pair is better than the one before, but I have SO much to learn. Both about constructing shoes, and about leather and working with it.

At first I thought that all I wanted was to finally have a pair of shoes that actually fit my feet, and if they didn't cause me any pain I didn't care how they looked. But not so anymore. The more I look at shoes and what people do with leather, the more I realize that I want to have shoes that are comfortable AND look good. I realize that using a last is preferred for shoemaking, but I am having difficulty finding any 7.5EEE lasts with lots of toe room and no heel. I hope one day to either find lasts or make some, but until then I'll use what I've got. My feet. :)

This is my second pair of shoes. There are numerous ways that I can see that they could be better, but all in all I'm pretty pleased with them. Gotta start somewhere. ;) If any shoemakers on the board have any advice for ways I could improve them in the future, I'm all ears.

post-45862-0-47679300-1383361473_thumb.j

Hello Newshoes!.... without an interest to ever make shoes....you have just inspired me to make a pair of those, they look great, natural and they are bound to fit your foot if you mold them to the real thing lol.... any more images of them?, would like to see how you have done the heels and ankle area.

You should be pretty proud of those for only a second or third pair.....shoe making is a real art !!

Thank you both!

I took a side view pic, they're a little worse for wear now (and a bit discolored from new jeans). I have learned a lot since I made these (mostly just how much I don't know, lol). I had a really hard time turning the leather out at the heel to attach it to the sole, it didn't occur to me to skive it so it would bend easier.

post-45862-0-39595800-1383368131_thumb.j

I am having difficulty finding any 7.5EEE lasts with lots of toe room and no heel. I hope one day to either find lasts or make some, but until then I'll use what I've got. My feet. :)

The standard practice is to find lasts that are the correct length and "build up" the sides to fit your foot measurements.

Edited by electrathon

I've been wanting to make shoes for a year or so myself, but so far haven't had the courage to give it a try, so I'll be watching your progress with interest!

Electrathon, I didn't know that. Can you tell me what the lasts are usually built up with?

Usually leather, glued to the last and sanded into shape.

post-2349-0-54745200-1383442321_thumb.jp

Edited by electrathon

I have never tried shoes, but I think your shoes look great and really comfortable. I will be watching for your posts with interest. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome and the compliments, Rosiart! And thanks for the info Electrathon. You have inspired me to think more seriously about buying some lasts. Building them up with leather definitely sounds do-able. :)