Sign in to follow this  
camano ridge

Has Anyone Made A Holster For S&w 1911Ta

I have an order for a holster for a S&W 1911TA (Railed) Trying to determine if a 1911 springfield Operator or colt 1911 railed will work as a holster mold. I have both and apear to be pretty much identical and seem to match a picture of the S&W 1911 TA. However I know there can sometimes be quirky little differences in 1911 models. Just wanted to see if anybody knew if the holster molds I have would work.

Sorry I don't have the answer to your specific question but I do have the non-railed versions of both guns and there are differences in the slide design. There are also small variations in the dimensions of the depth of slide. I learned the hard way that there are subtle differences in 1911's of varied manufacturers, I made myself (luckily not for a customer) a holster from a really nice hide of shark and used a Springfield 1911 Blue Gun to do the forming. Spent time finishing the holster off before real nice.. well when I went to put my Kimber in the holster.. it didn't fit. The Kimber dimensions were different in several areas compared to the Springfield 1911 Blue Gun. Lesson learned.. do exactly as you are doing and verify before forming!!! Wasn't a complete loss though, I just soaked the holster again and reformed and finished. It wasn't anywhere near as easy to get it wet enough to form again but I got it done.

Yes, I know there can be subtle differences. That's why I was asking. I have been there and done that also. I was trying to find a S&W 1911TA dummy gun, however I have not found one yet so was trying to find a suitable substitution. I htink it was Cjiefjason that just made one for a kimber that would not fit a different 1911.

The S&Ws and SIG 1911s are not standard and will not fit correctly into holsters made from Colt or Springfield blue guns.

20131127 115650

20131127 115730

We went through our Dummy guns on this question. I will put it like this, it depends on your tolerances for making holsters. For us we have the gun for the holster we are making. Having said that there is a local holster maker that uses the same gun for different 1911s. Between your guns there are a few differences. Height from the bottom of the rail to the top of the slide was bigger on the smith and Wesson. The over all profile on the rail was bigger on the Springfield. The length of the frame is also slightly longer on the Springfield. In our opinion it will be possible if you are not boning the holster super tight. I will include a picture for reference.

Jared, thanks for the reply. Is that S&W the same as the S&W 1911. Is that one that you make or is that a duncan mold? I checked there most recent inventory and did not see that on there list.