DarthBubbles

Hole Punch Hell

Hey All,

I need a better hole punch. Not only for my edges before I lace, but I would like to be able to go through thick layers of fabric for the corsets/bodices that I make. I do a lot of items that need to be laced together and I am looking for a solution that doesn't necessarily require me to punch the 4 holes, lift, move to the right, re-set (one in the hole), punch again.

Has anyone ever used a power hole puncher? Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Power-Punch-Sheet-Metal/dp/B0002T87CW

What I use:

Regular Heavy Duty Rotary Hole Punch.

Craft Tool Drive Punch.

Tandy's Craftool Hand Press.

4in1 Leather Punch.

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

The metal cutters that I have seen before don't seem like they would. Right now I am looking for anything that might help. Do you have any other suggestions? In my old age I find that I am getting some gnarly hand cramps.

I would not recommend that punch as it's designed for sheet metal applications - it will probably scar both the front and the back of the leather.

I have to confess I'm not entirely clear on your use case or the problem you're having. For lacing, I use a lacing chisel that punches a half dozen slots at a time. For lacing with heavier lace (latigo for example) I use either a rotary punch or a drive punch. For belts and other repetitve work I make a template to lay out the hole locations, then knock them all out one after the other. If I had the funds for a clicker, I'd use a die to punch out the pieces with the holes in place at the same time.

A small drill press and a forstner bit would make that easy work , depending on how secure the fabric is.

If the fabric is loose it won't work but if it's glued in place it will.

Putting holes in leather is a piece of cake.

Darthbubbles, it occurs to me that a thin piece of plastic placed above and below the leather would work with the tool. It also occurs to me the cheapest would be pieces of plastic milk jugs or the like.

If you have a drill press (wouldn't cost too much) then Reaper's idea is good. Matter of fact I intend to pick up some bits. Harbor Freight has them cheap. The drill presses run about $70.00.

http://www.harborfre...peed-60238.html

Matter of fact, you could place the chisel in the drill press and use the drill press (turned off) to punch the holes with the chisel for the thick stuff. Ideas. Every one has them............:).

Edited by Red Cent

Red Cent...your my new hero genius.

awwwww shucks.

Why dont you use a heavy sewing machine with big needle installed and NO thread. it will punch lots of holes in a line one after another.

Bro Tim

Why dont you use a heavy sewing machine

She's using lace.

Edited by Tree Reaper

The holes created by my heavy duty sewing machine won't be big enough. I might take out the bobbin assembly and try to hook a punch to the sewing arm. That would be cool, the feed dogs would even help with keeping the holes evenly spaced.

That wouldn't be a good idea.

She's using lace.

Missed that part! Sorry